Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking on for the first time

Checking on for the first time

Hello all,
    I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and start off on the right foot. I am expecting to spend an unbelievable amount of time on this forum. I own a very successful motorcyle forum much like this one. We have been making and selling screen print shirts for several years. We have been looking at expanding into some other areas of merchandise and a laser seemed to fit perfectly. We dropped the cash for a new Epilog Helix this past week and are expecting it in before Christmas. I have been lurking around here for several weeks gathering information about lasers, projects, and trying to make great decisions based off your experiences. I have a captive audience on the forum and I am going to be putting in a lot of time working to get images of motorcycles on wood and also on anodized aluminum. There is definately a market there and since I have a loyal base I am expecting some great things. So I have a good business plan, we have been running as a business for 10 years on the Internet and we have a good marketing plan, we ordered a good laser now I just need a little talent

I hope you all will be patient with me and I promise I will use the search on this forum before I ask a redundant newbie question. I was really relieved to see that there are so many talented folks out there in this area willing to help others out... I hope to learn from you, then share my experiences and information with others as time goes on...

Glad to be here!

Doug

Welcome Doug,
    I am failrly new here but this forum has been a great help to me and I know you get good info here. Good luck on the business expansion.
    Randy
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Hello Doug

The first time a saw a laser in action was a bike show. The fellow was had a large varity of motorcycle clip art for wooden key chains, clip art on one side and name on the other. $6.00 Good luck in your new adventure.
    Bruce
    Accuris 30 watt laser, x3 corel

Welcome Doug!

We have had our Laser since August and have received so much information and ideas from the great folks on this forum.

We wish you well in your new endevor!
    Laser Products Direct
    Jerry Hewett
    GCC SpiritGX 40W
    EngraveLab Laser
    PhotoGrav
    CorelDraw X3
    Metalphoto Converter
    Brother GT-541 Garment Printer
    Epson Stylus Pro Printer 9700 (44")

Thanks folks, I am a firm believer in participation and giving back to the community. Since my forum is my business I am online almost all day, this forum is now my new favorite place to go to post and find solutions and ideas... I don't want to come on too strong but this Internet thing is exactly what we do....

Doug
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Welcome to SMC...
    You will find everyone here to be very helpful and willing to help.
    The one thing I can suggest is to search SMC before you post a question. You will be surprised about how many times the question has been answered and not all the same way. Not to say the question you have has been asked but look first. -- If you dont like the answer or have more questions, ask away. Someone will help you I am sure.

They have been helpful to me that is for sure.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 50 watt with Rotary Attachment
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40 Rotary Engraver
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40G Rotary Engraver with Rotary Base Fixture
    Ricoh GelSprinter GX e7700N Dye-Sublimation Printer
    George Knight DK-20S Heat Press
    George Knight DK-3 Mug Press (x2)

Corel X7; Photograv 3.03; LaserExpress, Adobe CS5.5
    Vinyl Express GRC-61 - 24" Vinyl Cutter
    And other stuff I don't know how to use

Doug

Welcome to SMC. Good luck with the new machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Welcome to the Creek, Doug! I'm interested in seeing what kinds of items you make for your customers, other than T-shirts, since we often have discussions here about that topic. I'm sure you have good insight into what the market is looking for. Make sure you find the posts about cermark on motorcycle parts (Frank Corker did a beautiful series of drawings on one in particular) to see what your laser can do besides small keychains and such.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Welcome to the Creek Doug, I too will interested in what you end up doing most, but there is time for that. Just enjoy the toy for your learning curve.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

If you get it by Christmas, here is an ornament you can try.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome Doug! I'm one of the members here who takes more than I can ever hope to give back. The beauty of this forum? No one seems to mind! The people here are great! Good to have you on board and I look forward to learning from you as well.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I'm one of the members here who takes more than I can ever hope to give back. The beauty of this forum? No one seems to mind!
    I take it you haven't received my bill yet...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I take it you haven't received my bill yet...
    I figured it would catch up with me sooner or later . . .

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Thanks for the warm welcome... Its a rough life I'm living right now... My job is to figure this laser out and make some stuff at my own pace. I worked in IT for the past 15 years as a director of research and development so getting the laser up and running should not be a problem. I have been working in photoshop for 10 years so there will be a small transition over to Corel but I chalk that up to one more thing I'll know and another tool in the toolbox. I have a good idea of a couple of things that we will be doing to make and sell but honestly my biggest obstacle is going to be creativeness. Since I have been lurking around this forum and on the Epilog website I have seen things that I would have never thought of to do. I am a very analytical thinker, fortunately my wife is very very craftsy and has lots of ideas, unfortunately this also means that I must start listening to her

We have the exhaust and air assist all done, ( my best friend owns a plumbing / heating and air company) and we have the electrical completed to shut off the ventilation that is installed in the attic at the flip of a switch... Now all I need is the shipping company to show up with a box for me so I can get started...

Doug
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Quote Originally Posted by doug king View Post
    Now all I need is the shipping company to show up with a box for me so I can get started... Doug
    Doug, if you have a cat bring it over to the monitor . . .

Psst . . . hey cat . . . listen, when that big box arrives don't follow your instincts and get all curious. No one on this forum has every managed to catch and mark a cat. I don't want Doug to be the first. So, when that big box gets there run as fast as you can and hide under the bed!

Bella Terra