Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Legs" - Again! Now I am excited!

"The Legs" - Again! Now I am excited!

Been gone for a few days visiting my daughter and grandkids, and have not had any shop time. Prior to leaving, I had completed the faceted portions of the legs.

Today, after a bunch of honeydo catchup, I decided to sand out the legs, apply a coat of BLO, and shellac.

This probably ain't much to you guys, but this is big time stuff for me!! My first semi-finished pieces!! Finishing on the lathe is sweeeeeet!

I sanded to 400, and 000 steel wool before BLO/shellac. The plan on this table is to prefinish all parts with at least to a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac. Then, after assembly, I will probably go with Waterlox.

BTW, the legs really are straight. Seems I got a bunch of distortion from the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,
    Nice legs and i am not flirting with you. Can you catch me up on what project this is? Sorry I have been offline for a while.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Those look great John! Amazing turning for a flat worker.

Nice job!

John,

You sir, are a natural! Nice legs! Nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dewey,

John just took up turning and those legs are his first project.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John - the legs finished up really nice! You should be proud of your accomplishments in turning so far! Well done!

Finishing - especially sanding - on the lathe is so much nicer than flatwork! Just remember to keep the sandpaper moving at all times!

Looking forward to seeing the completed project!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dewey,

John just took up turning and those legs are his first project.
    How sweet is that? Way to go John! Welcome to the vortex!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    John,

They look GREAT.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Wow John, great work. I don't think I could make one of those, much less 4 of them that look the same.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Got love it when a plan comes together John....

Better watch it though, next thing you will be doing is turning bowls.
    And then wanting another lathe.

Great job on those legs..

I think I can speak for all of in saying "You've got some mighty fine legs!"
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

John I am impressed. Those legs really look great. Very well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

looks great John, I think you have the hang of it now
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Well on your way, look great to me. You are probably have a great big feeling of accomplishment. Well deserved I might add.

One other thing, would you recommend Waterlox for a kitchen table-solid oak top?
    Last edited by Steve Mawson; 11-08-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added question

Thanks so much for the encouraging comments! You guys have been very accepting of this old flat worker encroaching periodically into your world.

As originally stated, my interest in lathe work was to produce the various spindle parts for my furniture projects. However, I would have to admit when I walk by my firewood pile on the way to the shop, and see a piece of curly spalted wood, as I did yesterday, it makes me pause. I even split out a piece - just to see what it looks like mind you!! While the bowls and HFs don't pique my interest, I sure like some of the salt/pepper shakers and peppermills you all do. Then, there are those Christmas ornaments, and.... hmmmmm, I may have to get more firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Finishing - especially sanding - on the lathe is so much nicer than flatwork! Just remember to keep the sandpaper moving at all times!
    Thanks Steve, I learned that lesson early on! Also found that sanding the flats is much easier on the lathe, especially with my dust collection setup. Much cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Can you catch me up on what project this is? Sorry I have been offline for a while.
    Dewey, the legs are for a walnut/curly maple occasional table for the great room. This is the plan, such as it is! The shelf will be a little higher than shown, and the center section is curly maple, held by the walnut brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Whiting View Post
    I don't think I could make one of those, much less 4 of them that look the same.
    Not so, Bo!! With the progress you have made, this would be a breeze for you.

Steve, on the Waterlox, this will be my first use of the product, and I am far from a finishing expert. Actually, I am just now evolving from a wipe on poly user. I still like the stuff no matter what anyone says!! It never gave me any adhesion problems, and I never did get the "plastic look." My dining room table, which I built 25 years ago, was finished with wipe on poly, and it has done fine. In fact, nearly every piece I built up until a couple years ago, was done with Minwax wipe on poly. I felt some level of pride even, when FWW declared it the best of the finishes available.

But, in an effort to branch out, I am experimenting with other finishes. I would have to say that I love the look and feel of the BLO and shellac. I could be easily tempted to make shellac the final finish, buffed out with some wax. But, seems the Waterlox offers better protection.

I would suggest you search in the Finishing forum for some ideas on a table top. There are some interesting threads, and 4 or 5 of the creekers in that forum have a world of experience with various finishes. Me, I just muddle through with whatever seems to work.