Thread: Air compressor pump noise-could this be fatal?

Air compressor pump noise-could this be fatal?

I have a very generic single stage, 6HP, 60 Gal upright air compressor, The mfg is Campbell Hausfield. It was new in 1994 and has worked hard during its life - DA sanding and HVLP auto painting. It’s had regular oil changes and a new drive belt about 6 months ago. I’ve recently moved it into an outside enclosure next to my newly remolded garage/workshop. The enclosure is well ventilated on both sides. In the last few days it has developed an unusual sound – while building air it seems to labor hard and drop RPMs noticeably for 15-20 seconds, then recover - this happens several times during a single build cycle. The way the motor draws down, I’m probably not too far from popping a breaker – don’t want to go there
    I’m thinking the pump end may be near term? 15yrs old, hard life, splash lubrication, heat these pumps build. I see Grainger has the pump available under their “Speedaire” line. I see the same single stage pump on many different A/C mfgs.
    Has anyone had similar symptoms or failures with this pump?

Sounds more like an electrical issue to me. Do you have heavy enough wire to the motor? If the pump was going bad I would think you would hear some knocking if the lower end was going bad, if the top end was having problem you might notice oil usage and it taking longer to build up pressure.

I have a 6 hp comp that is close to twenty yrs old and I had to change the motor a couple years ago and it had a Baldor motor on it.
    AC are hard on motors
    Thank You
    Ed

Thanks for the comments. I used #10 wire, run lg, est - 50'. I have an electrician friend who I'm hoping to get involved. I always felt an electric motor was bullet proof - guess not.

If your weather has changed to winter ---the lube gets thicker in colder weather.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Ed
    For the Baldor motor you replaced, what characteristics did it show that caused you to think it was going south?
    Gary