Thread: sucker rod for tools?

sucker rod for tools?

Anyone have any experience using oil field sucker rods for tools? I've got access to several pieces that are about 3 feet long. It's 7/8 inch round bar. I've played with a piece on the grinder and it doesn't blue out like soft steel when it gets hot. I'm interested in making some deep scraper tools and am wondering if this stuff is worth the time and effort.

Any general tips on deciding what steel is good for homemade tools and which is not?

Sucker rods come in several grades of steel, most have enough carbon to allow some hardening with heat treatment. I recommend you get some "O-1" steel if you want to try some high carbon steel tools. It won't cost much and is easy to work with. It will provide better results than any sucker rod. Experimenting with unknown steels can be frustrating.

Agreed, 0-1 is fine for making your own tools and small cross sections can hardened and tempered in water making it very easy to handle.
    neil

The wooden Potter

David, If it's free, I would definitely try some. I use HSS tool bits (made for cutting metal) in all my home made tools. Cost about $3 each, easy to remove from the tool for resharpening.
    Richard in Wimberley