Thread: Turning DVD's.

Turning DVD's.

Gentlemen. Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations with regards to some introductory wood turning dvd's?

I would look at Keith Rowley's Woodturning -A Foundation Course and Bill Grumbines Turned Bowls Made Easy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

David - highly recommend Bill Grumbine's 'Turned Bowls Made Easy' as he takes you through each step needed - from cutting a blank, sharpening, different cuts with your gouge, bowl form, etc. Just my opinion - one of the best videos out there!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I really like Richard Raffan's Videos. He works fast but that is the magic of the rewind button. I have learned a ton from watching him work.

I also recently from ktmp.co.uk got a few DVDs featuring an English man named Andy Lodge. He is quite talented, explains what he is doing well, and the camera work was superb. I really do recommend his stuff. Great beginner pieces. I have purchased the whole set.

Joshua

Check out Mahoney's stuff

You might also take a look at Mike Mahoney's bowl turning DVDs. I think his overhead camera shots are superior to the angles used in many other tutorials. Also check out Bob Hamilton's tutorials on You Tube. He uses good overhead angles - and his instruction is free

If you want to learn how to use a skew chisel, the hands down videos available are those sold by Alan Lacer, IMHO.

Ditto the Grumbine video... I just got it and really like it. Raffan's videos I've enjoyed. Also, Jimmy clewes videos are interesting but "turn it on" is not a beginners video

I addition to Bill Grumbines DVDs, I would also take a look at Lyle Jamieson (sp?) Bowl Basics. He's a little long winded, but he goes into a lot more depth. May or may not be for you. I found it more informative than Bills. If I were to choose 1 it would be Bill's.