Thread: Wood lathe?

Wood lathe?

Greetings,
    Ive been thinking about getting a wood lathe to try it out and have been looking at the http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-C...od-Lathe/G0624

Was wondering if any body has one or experience with one and if itd be a good buy just to try it out.

Thanks.

There's a wood turning forum that you will get a lot of response from if a Mod would move this there.

I've been shopping for a lathe for like half a year trying to find a good deal on Craigslist. But each time I refuse to buy one is because it doesn't spin SLOW enough for me.

My ideal lathe will be very heavy, and have variable speed from 0 rpm up to "fast enough".

This grizzly is very affordable but that's probably because it has stepped speeds and the slowest is 480rpm.

Re-post this in the turners forum. It's been asked before. The biggest "problem" is the rather big change in speed from slow 480 and next slower is 1280. A large jump. Other than that, I can't remember anything bad. There's better options, but not for that price. IMO it would be better to spend more to get more.

Just my $.02.

Don't like the speeds. Look at the Delta 46-460 VS or the Jet 1220 VS.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chris, You probably already know this, but the factory setting for minimum speed of the Jet and PM EVS lathes is about 50 rpm. The variable frequency drive (VFD) can be programmed to turn slower, but the motors of these machines are TEFC, and at very low rpm the fan blows very little cooling air over the motor. At sustained speed lower than 50 rpm there is the possibility of overheating the motor.
    Richard in Wimberley