Thread: How to make a top?

How to make a top?

After turning a few pens and other small turnings, I started to think(danger danger Will Robinson). How do one turn a top? You know one of those spinning thingymajigs. Are there any directions? I search the web and came up empty.

Thanks

Richard

How fancy a top do you want to make. Those with strings and such to do the spinning are slightly more complex, but simple finger spun ones are easy and are fun to just free form:

The lignum vitae one on the left I just turned from a scrap between centers. The large purple heart one on the right, I used a chuck as an experiment to allow me to form a more perfect point (a parted off point inevitably needs a little clean-up). Here's a maple one:

Good thing I took the picture, because my kittens got ahold of it and chewed the stick off! Mischief dressed in little orange fur coats:

Can you give me some tips as to how to make some hand spun tops?

As to the mischiefs in orange fur coats, they needed a toothpick and your tops was the only thing they were able to find. They look like twins.

Richard

Well, sure, I'm hardly an expert. I've had a lathe all of two months, but I'll tell you what I can, and then some experts can come along and tell you the better ways to do it.

The easiest way is to just mount a scrap between centers (harder wood is better since the point will hold up better to repeated use without deforming)

I then start with the usual roughing gouge to get the stock to a cylinder.

I use a parting tool or bedan to romove some stock on the handle and point side, but still leaving enough to keep things strong and stable.

I'll use a skew and gouges to spape the top'd body - this can really bea nything you want as my tops demonstrate.

I next work on the handle and point some more. When the handle is well formed and still attached by enough wood at the end to be realtively strong, I finalize the point - removing/shaping the last bit until it separates. I then saw off the top of the handle and maybe touch it up with a carving knife or sand paper.

Nothing magic or difficult. A top in some ways is almost the inevitable result when you start messing around with skews and gouges on a bit of wood between centers!

Richard,

Let's see if this link works, instructions on the kind of tops I make:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/pdf/throw_top.pdf

Available from the link's source, not mine (directions) of course. My Dad made them for us as kids and I turned mine from memory of his, then ran across this one time when I was buying tips from them. My Dad used to use round-headed and ground screws into points. I find it much easier to buy points!

They're fun to make and throw and I've turned several dozen of them.

Good luck!

Jude
    Last edited by Judy Kingery; 11-05-2009 at 4:21 PM.

Thank you Sean and Judy, now I have to find some stock big enough to turn.

Richard

Take a look inthe firewood pile. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Take a look inthe firewood pile. Seriously.
    Thats a great idea!!