Thread: Need opinions!

Need opinions!

http:// madison craigslist org/tls/1452324376.html

Local craiglist for a jet 1236. I think with all the extras I wouldn't be out any money if I don't like the lathe...

Extras:
    PSI Woodworking CSC3000C Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System
    PSI Woodworking CJAWFJ2 Jumbo Flat Jaws
    5/8" JT33 replacement drill chuck new in box
    Delta 46-625 Lathe Spindle Turning Tools, Set of 6
    Set of 8 Benjamin's Best HSS Lathe Chisel Set
    PSI Woodworking LCMINI2 Mini 5-Piece HSS Wood Lathe Chisel Turning Set
    Woodturner's Caliper Set
    The Wood Buff Kit
    Woodcraft 8" Slow-Speed Grinder
    Turning Wood with Richard Raffan (Paperback)
    Turning wood video (VHS) by Richard Raffan
    Lathe dust hood
    Also includes a face shield, woodcraft apron and a box of small peices of wood to get you started turn. Also includes 4-6 6x6x3 bowl blanks.

first $699 takes it

I currently have a jet 1014i, and have been thinnking about upgrading. This one isn't much of an upgrade, but for the price.....the only thing that concerns me in looking at the specs, is the min rpm (550) seems a bit high......

thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-05-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: removed direct link to CL

No

You asked. That's my opinion. Your current lathe, with an extension bed, can do virtually everything the Jet 1236 can do. The other items are nice, but not worth the price absent the lathe.

A neighbor sold me his 1236 when he upgraded to a PM. He had had the Jet for less than two years and sold it to me for $300 along with a bunch of parts and tools.

"He used only about six times" reminds me of the little old lady's sedan!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

550 rpm is too fast for trying to turn out-of-round bowl blanks. I have to fight this on my lathe.
    I have to keep trimming and trimming to get a blank that feels safe enough to stand beside while spinning.

Agree with David. Not much of an upgrade for the $$. Might offer, say, 500. Just an opinion.
    Richard in Wimberley

Hmm. I would venture the tools/chuck/videos would be ALMOST worth that, but do agree that the 1014 is capable. Maybe.... IF you didn't already have the 1014.

Thank you all, for your input. I do appreciate it

I bought my Jet 1236 one year ago "NEW" for 385.00. Wish I had put the 385.00 on the 1220 instead. The 1236 is a sorry peice of equipment. I have had to replace the motor, the Tail Spindle, The Tailstock Screw twice, the Motor Pully twice, and the belt four times. Although you can turn off center it is very dangerous. The low speed of 550 is too much for a balanced wood, let along an out of balance piece. Trying to true up a bowl blank "OFF" center I have broke a tool rest, the tool rest body, and a gouge. Trying to true AN out of balance blanks "ON" center, I have broken my glasses, blacked an eye and took a serious blow to the nose from flying pieces.

You can't get any of the extras, but for $599.00 you can get the DELTA 46-460. That is what I bought about a month ago and I am very pleased with it.

I would also look at the 46-460 VS. With a bed extension it would be all of what the 1236 is and can do. I have turned on one and it is a honey.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

like everyone else said, id pass.