Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Maloof Inspired Rocker Plans

I do have a decent bandsaw - the Grizzly 513X2. But no lathe. I'l probably ask my lathing friend to help me. He has offered before - not to do the lathing but to instruct me on his equipment.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I do have a decent bandsaw - the Grizzly 513X2. But no lathe. I'l probably ask my lathing friend to help me. He has offered before - not to do the lathing but to instruct me on his equipment.

Brian
    I too have no lathe (but am considering purchasing). I'm going to try my hand at cutting an octagonal taper on the bandsaw and then faring the curves by hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I too have no lathe (but am considering purchasing). I'm going to try my hand at cutting an octagonal taper on the bandsaw and then faring the curves by hand...
    Oooooh! Coooool!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Cody, did that 80 hours include making the jigs and templates? How many hours will the next one take?
    Richard
    Yes, Richard, that time includes everything from opening up the packaged plans to the final finish. I tracked it each day on an Excel spread sheet just to be accurate about the time.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Cody, your chair is beautiful in every way. Any tips to share?

Charles Brock recommends a carbide kutzall donut wheel to scoop the chair. Perhaps that'd be faster than using an inshave as you suggest you'll do next time...?
    Thanks, Shawn.

Since my next chair will be out of Bois d'Arc, I'll likely not use an inshave. The wood is just too hard so I'll suffer the dust cloud again, I guess.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Dust

What do you guys use to control the dust with a Kutzall? I used one recently to shape the crest rail of a chair and it made a heck of a mess. I've been noodling over ways to cut down on the dust.

A down draft table would be tough to use as you have to securely clamp the wood down.

At this point, I'm leaning towards doing it outside with a fan off to the side to blow most of the dust away. Problem is that all this does is move the mess from my shop out to the front yard.

Any ideas?

Regards,

John

I'm planning to do it outside. I believe the seat has enough mass, but if it requires clamping, I'll secure it to some portable saw horses that I have. No WAY would I do this inside.

You can use the Kutzall indoors and it is a dust storm. I set up a temp booth using a shower curtain hung around part of my workbench. The kutzall works well but you need to practice some before as it can get aggressive but I find it can be controlled. The front legs on the chairs I make are not turned but shaped first on the bandsaw and then with micro planes, files and a lot of sanding. All done after cutting and prefitting the joint. It adds alot of hours but I like the free formed and sculptured look instead of turned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim-
    I like your legs a lot
    Do you have any pix of them in their rougher form?

My Charles Brock plans came today. Looks like a lot of shop entertainment for 2010.

I'm saving for the wood. Still planning on a combination of straight grain and curly maple. But I saw some photos of a curly cherry rocker. That looks magnificent too. 8/4 cherry is about $6.25 at Reel Lumber (local) and some of their pieces show some figure.

Maloof rocker

Brian, are the plans for a high back rocker with heavily shaped arms, seat and back, similiar to the one Sam is sitting in on the cover of the October FWW?

My wife has offered to buy me the Maloof rocker class William Ng is giving in July of next year. I've seen Williams chairs and they are awesome. Very large, heavily countoured and he's made some changes to Sam's design that I like.

I'm not sold on the idea yet and would consider plans.

Regards,

John

Yes, John, it looks quite a bit like the October Fine Woodworking cover. There is a photo on Charles Brock's July Blog.

Shawn and Brian, I am looking forward to your progress and wood selection. I am probably going to go with walnut but am still deciding.
    Ben

Woodcraft has a great deal on the FINE wheels, bkz they're clearing them out. THere are only 4 left. However, Charles says the extra coarse is the way to go. Woodcraft has none left of those.
    From Charles Brock website:
    Grinder is used with a Kutzall (blue) donut shaped cutter to shape the saddle after glue up.

Though his plans say "coarse", the blue is "fine".

Brian

I believe that might be a type-o. He's told me that the extra coarse is the way to go. I have my seat blank glued up. My wheel came today in the mail. I'm gonna make some dust after work tomorrow. Will post pix if it looks good.