Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard maple workbench on the cheap progress

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    The door you mentioned will work fine for your current needs IMO. ..... I have a door standing vertical on one rear shop wall waiting to be laid on top just for that purpose.
    You just reminded me that I have a solid core door in the garage on the other side from the workshop. It's prehung, but I can remove the hinges/etc. to use it for a workbench top. That thing has been there so long, I can't believe I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

(The door was moved when we came out here from STL. I bought it to put in the basement workshop and couldn't return it because it had been a returned special order that I bought on clearance. Rather than throw it away, I put it on the moving van...now I know why!)

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Long due update:
    Caps didnt hold well just with dovetail so I got them bolted in.
    Finished box of drawers for inside, all plywood with maple drawer fronts and 1/4 edge trim
    For drawers got economy kv slides. Their movement has heavy oily feel unlike expensive slides but that makes them perfect for under workbench - easy to open and close but no movement when I pound something on workbench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It turned out nice Igor. You're going to love all of that storage underneath!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

4. That bench looks great. I have some old Maple flooring that was removed from a school gym where my wife teaches. I will have to remove staples that were left in the wood which will take a long time and also strip the very thick paint and finish but I may use the boards to make a workbench top.

Very nice work. I like your laminate approach...
    Jerry

Igor,

A first class bench. Enjoy!

-Jerry

Not as nice as yours but may be cheaper. I made it from old glu-lam beam ends milled down and I had the vise laying around. I built it as a quickie prototype so I could figure out what I really want and actually buy some real wood. This project took 12 hours start to photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images