Thread: Looking for hollow form tool advice

Looking for hollow form tool advice

I have been toying with the idea of getting tooling to play with hollow forms. I have looked on-line at the Sorby tools and at the Don Pencil tools, the Sorby being a standard handled tool and the Don Pencil having the option of straight or bent arm handle. I know there are a few different sets out there, but I don't really know the pros and cons of each.

What suggestions or comments do you have on hollowing tools for a mediocre turner who wants to play with hollow forms?
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Joe - watch out for hollow forms - they can become addictive and the tools you 'just have to have' are not cheap!

What kind of tools really depend on the style of hollow forms you want to turn. If you want to turn lidded boxes - the Sorby multi-tip tool is great to start with. If you want to turn a vase - you need a long and straight cutter. If you do more of the Southwestern style - then you need the above tools as well as a goose neck or swan neck to get into the far shoulder areas.

I started out with hand-held tools and it is a great way to find out if hollow forms are something you want to invest in before spending the big bucks for complete systems.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have the Don Pencil set (check his "blem" prices for a deal, although I got mine at Woodworkers Supply on sale for less)

BTW, note his new adapter for using the curved blades on the straight tool, something I think was missing

Another point is that the Sorby blades fit on his tools (I actually have a small Sorby on my curved neck right now)

One last point, his tools are "reversible" in that you can turn "Backwards" (assuming your lathe will run in reverse). I tried it with a recent effort and it can make some inside turning easier

Oh ya, something I haven't tried, yet. But it appears that the Easy Rougher might fit on the curved (or the adapter). I would only try the curved Easy Rougher cutter... but I just might try it (with a spacer washer)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Try it on the cheap first!

You can spend thousands of dollars on hollowing systems and tools and certainly have some well designed and functional tools. You can also get started right away if you have some old drill bits and time to watch Jeff Nicol's video on reshaping the bit to make a very functional hollowing tool.
    If you like it you can always buy some of the specialty tools that are in line with the forms you want to turn. You should be able to find information on just about all of the different systems if you do a search in the turners forum to help you decide what you need.
    Last edited by tom martin; 11-04-2009 at 5:39 PM.

hollowing tools

Consider John Jordans Tools. He also has a good video on the subject available at Packard Woodworks.
    peter

joe, once again, ask 4 woodturners a question, get 6 different answers. i use and like the jamieson captured system for tall forms, and the sorby hollowmaster for blind hollowing and roughing tall forms. i also have a bosch gooseneck bar; haven't used it much. mike

Joe,

I'm with Steve,

HF's are a lot of fun, though they can be a little frustrating. I have two sets of Randy Privett's Monster-tools' articulated systems. They're relatively inexpensive, the learning curve is very short and they can accommodate almost any shape you would want. I think that quite a few "Creekers" have Randy's tools and he is great.
    Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin