Thread: Morris Chair Progress Pics

Morris Chair Progress Pics

Thanks to some serious shop time on Sunday I was able to get a good chunk of my clients chair finished. This chair is a reproduction of the clients grandmother's chair. Her brother took the chair that was suppose to be hers, so I think she'll be real happy when cmpleted. Anyways, here is the current stage.

Pic 1: Is the main body, slightly dirrent than many Mission styles of chair with wider slats. The arm rests have not been attached nor rounded on the top. Built with M&T joinery and of course Q.S. White Oak.

Pic 2: A close up of some of the figure in the wood.

Pic 3: The rear of the arm rests which shows a peg I made and the slots for the recliner adjustment.

Pic 4: Is a close up of the peg. Turned on the spinny thing and then cut to size. i actually was able to get it to a perfect fit in a 7/8" hole the first time.

Pic 5: A shot of my new best friend. Festool 150/3. Sure makes good work of it.

Note: You can see the seat frame through the slats. This will actually be strung with furniture webbing and then covered in a linen, so it's just plain oak and not very purdy.

I hope to make more progress this week and should have some shots before final sanding and finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Thumbs up

Looks Like you are off to a good start Scott.
    Thats some nice looking oak!
    Im sure she will love it!
    Jim

Scott,

That chair looks great so far and appears like it's built to last forever.

Have you decided on a finish regimine? Were the mortises done with mortiser, router or by hand?

Bob
    bob m

I will use one of the stain methods for finishing. Not really ready to mess with amonia.

Mortices are done with my dedicated Wood Tek morticer and some clean up (bottoms) by hand to adjust the fit when needed.

I think the chair will be one heavy load when done.

The legs are wrapped to give the apperance of the ray/fleck all the way around.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very Nice Scott!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Scott, looks like your making some good progress. I always like looking at construction pics. Nice wood selection on this one as well. What kind of finish are you looking to put on this one?

It took two trips to the north land (about 1 hour round trip) to get a good selection of wood. Luckily during the first trip they told me about a new shipment that was waiting to be added to the floor. I showed up the it was put on the floor, so I got to pick the best pieces.

Finish, is still to be determined but I am hoping to achieve something close to what you would find by buying a Stickley. I plan to work up some mocks and take into a furniture store to get a feel for color match.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs