Thread: Question about Woodcraft silicone bottle stoppers

Question about Woodcraft silicone bottle stoppers

Last year for Christmas presents for friends and family, I turned quite a few bottle stoppers and used the Ruth Niles stainless stoppers, which are great. Since then, my wine enthusiast girlfriend has discovered the silicone stoppers that Woodcraft sells and really likes them. She wants to do more this year, both for presents and to sell at a local craft show next month. I know these things go onto tenons in the base of the stopper. My question is, how do you do the tenons? Do you turn the tenon on the base from the same wood as the stopper? Do you drill and glue in a tenon? When I was at Woodcraft and bought the stoppers, I didn't see any instructions, and since the store was very busy, I forgot to ask an assistant when I was finally able to get someone's attention about something else.

Thanks for any advice/help/suggestions,

DAve

Dave, for the cork stoppers you glue in a 3/8" dowel as your tenon. I assume it is the same for the silicone stoppers, but I don't know if you need to use a special glue for those. If you go to Woodcraft's website and search for stoppers you will see an article tab on the description page that gives instructions for the cork stoppers. It should be the same for the silicone.
    Hope that helps!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

3. Its been a while since I've done the silicon stoppers, but the 3/8 dowel for the tenon sounds right. You can turn the stopper mounted in a 3 or 4 jaw chuck by the tenon. I don't recommend this method though.....I've had too many tenons snap at some point in the turning process (I used the cork on these). Snugging up your tailstock with a small revolving center will help cut back on breakage, although you still have to finish shaping the end......Take your time.........OR!!!!!!.......Use a 3/8 pin chuck. This would be the best way in my opinion......Less worries about breakage.

Ruth Niles stoppers are terrific! They are a product of one of our own (Ruth) and are made in the USA. They look great and are totally functional. I'd stay away from the silicon stoppers......I've had a few tear and they don't look very great after a year or so of use.

H.

David, from the Woodcraft website:
    These molded silicone rubber stoppers are long wearing, do not break apart like cork and are washable and reusable. They friction fit on a 1/2" wooden dowel so they can be replaced without having to throw away the turned stopper top.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...(10-Pack).aspx

Dave
    They should also have the dowels for the silicone stoppers (3/8" on one end and 1/2" on the other. These work great.

I turn mine on a 3/8" pin mandrel, then glue the small end of the dowell into the stopper, clamp till dry, slide on the silicone.
    I used to glue the dowell into a 3/8" hole in the blank, then turn in a 1/2" collet chuck.
    I like using the pin mandrel better. I also turn my corks on the pin chuck.
    This way I do not worry about twisting the 3/8" dowell into.

The silicone is nice also because a person can slide it off to clean, if they want.

Jerry

I use the Miller dowels, just cut off what I don't need, then use a collet chuck. Hardest part for me is getting the stopper stuck to the blank. Latest method of silicone glue is proving better.............

R
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I made a bunch of these a couple of weeks ago. However, I decided to order them from CSUSA because they also has the little dowels listed - I didn't see them on the WC site. I couldn't tell from the WC site the size of the hole needed in the material versus the 1/2" in the stopper. They were also cheaper.

Anyway, I bought the dedicated dowels separately, and they really made things easier and quicker. Each dowel has a 3/8" end and a 1/2" end. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the wood and glued the dowels in - left over night. I then chucked them into my Beall collet chuck and cranked out the tops.

I am a fan of the Ruth Niles stoppers, but we were looking for a lower priced item to sell.

Question about Woodcraft silicone bottle stoppers

Woodcraft Silicone Bottle Stoppers #140490 http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...(10-Pack).aspx These silicone stoppers friction fit on common 1/2'' dowel that is glued into your blank. Glue the dowel in the blank and grip it in a jacobs chuck attached to the lathe. This will allow you to use those small valuable peices of exotic or figured wood.When finished just slide on the silicone and they are ready to use.

Before Ruth came out with her product I had switched to the silicone because the chrome plate would not hold up. I had several customers loose the silicone end. I purchased the dowels and ends from Packard so the fit was correct.
    Ruth's stoppers are no problem to keep clean. My customers seem pleased with the sleek look of the stainless. Also there is a nice heft to each one that gives the feel of quality.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

I have been using the silicone stoppers from PSI that have the dowel already attached. Drill the blank with 23/64" bit and use a 3" long 3/8" bolt with the head cut off for a mandrel in my collet chuck. The bolt threads screw right in the drilled hole. I use the tailstock until I part off the end, then no tailstock while sanding.

I cut my own tenon from the wood I'm using and I don't have to worry about gluing the dowel into the stopper. Craft Supplies USA http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

sells just the silcone stopper without the dowel.

I have made several of the stoppers using the silicon stoppers and dowels. I began gluing the silicon to the dowel after I gave one to my son and he told me that the silicon came off the dowel in the bottle top. I made my first stoppers yesterday with the Ruth Niles SS stoppers. Sure look nice - especially with Cocobolo. I hope they sell as good as they look.

silicone bottle stoppers

the silicone stopper fits on a 1/2" tenon. you can usually buy these as a separate item. the part of the tenon that glues into the stopper is 3/8". you can glue the 3/8 tenon in then use a collett chuck to hold it while turning. either that or turn a 1/2" tenon on one end of your stopper, turn around an put in a collet chuck to turn and finish