Thread: Looking for sheet acrylic supplier - Oregon

Looking for sheet acrylic supplier - Oregon

I have been buying .187" black extruded acrylic from my local Professional Plastics warehouse for years, but they have changed suppliers or something, but I can no longer use the stuff they stock and the local guy doesn't seem to be able help me.

The problem is the film mask. The newer stuff is thicker and darker blue than the product I was using. I cut small parts with my 40W ULS and the dark blue mask is very difficult to peal because the laser either welds it to the acrylic or the lip formed with the heat prevents lifting the edge of the mask.

So, I'm looking for a supplier of acrylic sheet with the thin light-blue film mask. The thick stuff takes too much time to remove and it doesn't give as nice a cut either. The flame polished surface looks like it has small sand particles embedded in it. I'm guessing that's residue from the thick mask.

Does anyone know what brand acrylic comes with the thin mask? Any recommendation for a supplier in the Portland, Oregon area?

Thanks!
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon
    ULS VersaLaser 40W 12 x 24"

(scratches head) Everything I've ever heard/read about cutting acrylic in the laser says to remove the factory masking, whether film or paper, and (optionally) replace it with transfer paper. Even if I hadn't heard that, the prospect of welding the film to the acrylic (not to mention not knowing what the film is made of) would have kept it away from the laser.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Stewart View Post
    The thick stuff takes too much time to remove and it doesn't give as nice a cut either. The flame polished surface looks like it has small sand particles embedded in it. I'm guessing that's residue from the thick mask.
    That would be my guess, too. Do as Lee suggests... replace the stock mask with transfer tape before any vector cutting. Yes, it takes an extra step, but you'll be much happier with the results.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I can't help with the masking issue, it looks like Lee already gave you the best advise. I can share a little tid-bit with you concerning how I get almost all of my clear acrylic nearly free each year though. I visit one of my local frame shops every year or when I have a large project and need a lot of clear acrylic. I purchase their drops from the frame shop, a couple of days ago I got a huge load of acrylic, most of the pieces were larger then my engraving table.....all for ten bucks. I had to put the seats down in my little Scion and push the passengers side seat as far forward as it would go to accomodate the longest pieces. I know that the load is more than a years worth of acrylic for me and I have to cut 600 two inch by four and a half inch windows for a door sign job at CNU next week.

It seems a shame to purchase full sheets of acrylic and then cut them into small pieces for engraving and cutting jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    ... replace the stock mask with transfer tape before any vector cutting. Yes, it takes an extra step...
    And note that you really only have to do one side: it's just there to keep scratches and bounce-back burn off the bottom surface.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Stewart View Post
    Any recommendation for a supplier in the Portland, Oregon area?
    I have ordered quite a bit from MultiCraft Plastics in Tigard. They may or may not have what you want but they've always treated me well.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I can't help with the masking issue, it looks like Lee already gave you the best advise. I can share a little tid-bit with you concerning how I get almost all of my clear acrylic nearly free each year though. I visit one of my local frame shops every year or when I have a large project and need a lot of clear acrylic. I purchase their drops from the frame shop, a couple of days ago I got a huge load of acrylic, most of the pieces were larger then my engraving table.....all for ten bucks.
    Thanks for this tip, Keith - it makes a lot of sense and I'll bet the frame shop is glad to get rid of it. I do the same thing with mat board drops, but never asked about acrylic. One question: would you assume (danger!) that they are extruded or cast - can you tell the difference just by looking at it?

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    One question: would you assume (danger!) that they are extruded or cast - can you tell the difference just by looking at it?
    An easy way to find out would be pop it in the laser, go to the system test page and shoot a test shot at it, see if it frosts or not. They're probably not going to be mixing cast and extruded.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    I have ordered quite a bit from
    MultiCraft Plastics in Tigard. They may or may not have what you want but they've always treated me well.
    For acrylic they are my last resort. Multicraft is very high compared to almost anywhere else. I would try Delvies.

Gary

Well, that may well be as I have mostly just purchased Rowmark from them. Got a better supplier of Rowmark?
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Dee,

All of the acrylic drops I get are extruded. There isn't any reason for a frame shop to pay more for cast acrylic for large framing jobs. It still has the paper on it and you can tell from the manufacturers marking, "Acrylite FF marked in blue" for instance. Acrylite uses red markings for their cast acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Well, that may well be as I have mostly just purchased Rowmark from them. Got a better supplier of Rowmark?

It's funny, but they have the best prices I have found for Rowmark. When you buy small quantities like I do, they are pretty reasonable. Some of the other suppliers may be a bit cheaper per sheet but when you factor in shipping they end up being more than MC.

Gary

Isn't there a tap plastics in Portland: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=24&

They've always had everything I need made of plastic and then some.

For cheap clear acrylic go to Lowes. I got a 16"x24" piece x 1/4" yesterday cut to 4x 8"x12" for $13. They sell 1/8"x 8"x10" for $1.

low cost Mach3 controlled CO2 laser cutters, Inkjet PCB kits, Laser 3D Scanning, Solidworks 3D Mechancial Design, Electrical Engineering Design, overseas CNC manufacturing consulting
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-05-2009 at 7:50 PM.

Dee

Whenever I've bought acrylic the extruded comes with a plastic protective cover while the cast has a paper cover.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Calsak Plastics is here in Portland and they sell large sheets - might be worth a shot if you strike out elsewhere.