Thread: Japanese inspired bowl

Japanese inspired bowl

here's a piece of spalted maple that i turned, trying to copy the shape of some bowls i saw in a sushi bar. 2-wheel buffed, will be finished with renaissance wax. sorry about the poor photog. about 7" tall by 6" wide. critiques/comments always welcome. mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 11-03-2009 at 9:04 PM.

Great spalted turning

Beautiful piece. And nice to know the inspiration came over a cup of sake and a california roll!

Great looking piece. Nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Interesting form Mike! Love the wood! I absolutely love Sushi and thought I was fairly familiar with most of the traditional Japanese bowl forms but must admit - this is new. Was the bowl used as decoration or did it hold something? Just curious!

Nice work on this! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice shape and love the spalting. I too didn't know this was considered a Japanese style.

steve, i was just sitting at the sushi bar of a local restaurnat and saw 3 of them together - nothing in them - alex, next time i'm there, i'll take a photo and post it, too (now you've got me wondering just how accurate my memory of these bowls was! ). mike

Nice bowl and nice wood. Agree that it doesn't seem too japanese but if you removed the top 1/3 or so it would look a bit like a rice bowl with that bottom curve and the foot. All in all, I like it as is

Interesting form! I did notice that a little bit of finish dripped into the inside of the bowl. With such a large opening and view into the inside of the bowl, I would recommend finishing the inside. I would be interested in seeing the same form without the tenon foot. It seems like it would look good flowing into the table. I do like the spalting and the flow of the curve disappearing into the bowl!

jon, actually the inside of the entire bowl has 1 coat of antique oil (the bowl has 3, forgot to note that). i vascillated about whether or not to finish the inside of the bowl more, and ultimately decided not to. when i have this decision to make, i think of hand thrown pottery - most often left rough inside. must just be some of the grain in the bowl that looks like a drip of finish, i'll have to look. the foot is a necessary part of the bowl, as i say it's based on some others i saw - and they had a foot, as this one has. mike

Well, most important is it is well done, and I'm going to have to try the rim treatment in some form or another. Thanks for the post!