Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning smock or?

turning smock or?

I have been looking at trying to find a smock or what ever to keep the chips out of the pockets and more so my neck. Any one have an idea where to find them, saw a pic of a sorby smock but can't find where to buy such a thing. Any help will be apprecitated. Thanks Wally

I bought a Sorby smock this weekend at the Woodcraft store in West Springfield MA. I believe this is a discontinued item for them... they had some Large sizes left at at 30% discount. So if you're interested it might be worth contacting a WC store to see if they have any stock.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I like to wear a two pocketed shirt open at the neck with deck shoes. Drives my wife crazy.

For winter, you might watch walmart or whatever for a nylon type jacket. Nylon or whatever it is properly called sheds chips and dust well. You might also look at a barber supply place for one of those jackets/smocks that your barber wears.

I bought the one from craft supply woodturnerscatalog.com. It has two large pocketas in the back and a pencil holder in the front. It works well for me.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

I bought the same one, Matt and it works great. I see a lot of turners using it in various videos.

LeeValley ones have nice pockets in the back to store small items such as tommy bars, calipers, etc. Love mine.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Aaw

You can buy a nice smock on AAW web site . They work well ! G

I use a leather turner's apron that velcros around the neck. It has pockets on the inside, and a couple pen slots on the front that I use every day for my machinists rule and pencils. It can be overly warm in the summer, but I can't imagine a nylon smock is any different. I chose the apron because I can have a fan on my back. I picked it up from Manny's woodworking place (website) because it was a lot cheaper than Rockler. It works well to keep chips out of my shirt and neck.

Being cheap, I took an old nylon windbreaker that zips up to the neck and cut the sleaves to 3/4 length. I works good but a tad warm in summer. My wife is making me a turner's smock. Similar to what the retailers sell.

Another vote for the AAW smock. GC

http://www.woodturner.org/shop/Products.asp?tCID=17

Another vote for AAW smock. Works really well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

When I first tried to do inside out turning, I thought you wear your clothes inside-out to keep shavings out of your pockets. That works OK but the AAW smock works a little better.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I use this one from Packard, works fine. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...de=appr-aprons

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome