Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley Works - Black & Decker merge!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Good timing - I was also wondering about this.

Anyone have experience with this #92 shoulder plane?:
    http://www.stanleytools.com/default....F+Chisel+Plane
    I've been thinking about asking for one for Christmas, and this might be a good alternative to the much more expensive Veritas. Would this be considered comparable in size to the Medium Vertias Shoulder Plan?
    I would avoid anything recent by Stanley in terms of planes. Get an older (pre WW2) or get the Veritas or LN versions. The current Stanley #92 is not a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by George Beck View Post
    This is more of the wall street myth that two bad companies make a big better company. Usually results in poorer product quality, lay offs and better earnings.
    Could have not have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    So we may now know the real reason The New Yankee Workshop was put to bed. Stanley taking over Delta may have dried the funding up.

Quintessence that the end of NYW was announced two weeks ago and the Stanley takeover today????????
    This is also a very real possibility. I know Norm has said in the past that The New Yankee Workshop was 100% reliant on the funding it received from Delta and the others to stay on the air.

Methinks the folks on the Porter-Cable side of the house are going to get mighty nervous.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Stanley also owns Bostitch. The list keeps growing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Beck View Post
    This is more of the wall street myth that two bad companies make a big better company. Usually results in poorer product quality, lay offs and better earnings.
    Any bets on how long the new Unisaw will continue to be made in the U.S.A.?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Maybe Stanley will.... sell off the B&D line, perhaps to a toilet paper manufacturer trying to integrate vertically?

Quote Originally Posted by George Beck
    We'll see, of course, but this is certainly the way these things usually go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Robinson VT View Post
    Any bets on how long the new Unisaw will continue to be made in the U.S.A.?
    NOT LONG!!!!!!! The CEO's that run these companies just don't get it.

I hate to hear this because I am a porter cable fan. If porter cable bought stanley id be ok...but stanly buying porter cable makes me nerveous... I literally have no fear of buying used PC items in a pawn shop or used condition, and the things I have bought operate better than new insubordinate brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    NOT LONG!!!!!!! The CEO's that run these companies just don't get it.
    Oh they get it all right...big fat bonuses. We get it too, right up the behind!They change will be swift, as it was when B&D bought PC/Delta. It was 90 days from when the sale was announced that the shuffling and lay offs started. I look for the UniSaw and a couple other machines to stay at the Tennessee plant for a while, at least. DeVillbis will probably not be badly affected, their tank welding facility is second to none, and they do produce about a third of the compressors sold in the US, under a dozen different labels. A lot of Oldham moved to the PC plant in Tennessee when B&D took over, there's a fifteen acre machine shop in there, kinda hard to move. Kwickset and Baldwin employees may be in for a shock though.(they are also part of the B&D web). This is going to be interesting, to say the least.