Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Shop Fox Cyclone?

Dust Bin vs Bag

In looking at the Shop Fox cyclone pictures, I notice that the filter looks very similar to the one on the Grizzly G0440. Can anybody tell me if they are similar enough that the dust bin on the bottom of the Shop Fox filter will fit the Grizzly unit, to allow me to get rid of the plastic bags? That would be awesome.

Carl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hunsinger View Post
    to allow me to get rid of the plastic bags? That would be awesome.

Carl
    Just curious Carl; what's the problem with the plastic bag?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grizzly Cyclone Bags

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just curious Carl; what's the problem with the plastic bag?
    I haven't got too far yet with this unit to know for sure, but from what I see during the assembly process, it looks like the weak link in the design. The following comes from an Amazon review of the G0440, and matches my initial impressions:

"...The worst, however, is the plastic collection bag at the end of the pleated filter. First, it is too large for the flange where it attaches, so you have to pleat this plastic bag. Then you have to fasten it with a metal strap, which eventually rips the bag. Then you have to order another bag from grizzly, only to repeat this same lame sequence of failed procedures..."

I can see that the bag might prove to be fragile in everyday usage.

Other concerns I see in these reviews are difficulty in cleaning the filter with the brush. For those who use the G0440, how well does this really work?

Carl

Blog Entries
    The brush is one of the best systems I've seen. I really don't see how anyone could have trouble with it. It is really idiot-proof; pull one handle, pull the other. The bag is not problem for me. I have only removed it once (or twice ???). That was only out of curiosity. I have maybe gotten one whole cup of fines out of it in over a year. If folks are getting a lot of material in that area, they should check their system for assembly leaks or over-filling of the main bin.

The post filter bag is over-sized which I thought was kinda dumb but, putting a flap in it certainly has not caused the bag to rip. There is a soft foam gasket that the band seats into so, no leaks. I am not sure how you would rip the bag with the band unless maybe you stabbed it with the loose end of the band(?). Mine is in a very awkward location due to room constraints and is still very workable.

At least with the bag you can see what you have (or have not) collected without having to take it off. If you can make the Shop Fox can fit, you may want to cut a slot in it and add a plastic window but, as I said, it takes a lot of collection to gather much material in the post filter area. However, good maintenance beats having to clean the filter, any day ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-04-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 1809, i get some dust in my filter can but use pannel sander so that might be the reason. never get anything else in it but really fine dust.

Well, it's been just over 10 years since my original post and I'm glad to say that the Shop Fox W1809 cyclone is still going strong. I am at the point now where I think the canister needs to be replaced, but otherwise it's chugging along about as good as the day I got it.

haha that cannister probably needed to be replaced 4-5 years ago! Wait until you do replace it and how the machine performs afterwards. I recently switched over my 3hp Griz cyclone filter to a wynn one with double the surface area, and the machine performs exceedingly well. As strong as i remember it pulling on day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    haha that cannister probably needed to be replaced 4-5 years ago! .
    You are absolutely telling the truth. I have taken it out and sprayed it out from the inside which I know is not ideal but give me a bit more life. I am now negatively impacted by the filter and plan to swap it out. I’m actually thinking about going back to bags rather than a canister. Need to do a little bit more research before making that decision.

Jeremy if you go back to bags where would you get them from ? I looked in to this when I was going through the process of purchasing my collector. I talked to American filter fabric at the time. It would seem that the singed felt bags would last longer than pleated filters,I am not sure that they would filter quite as good though. The Wynn canister filters are the other choice for me. Time for more research.

Im no expert on bags, but if you have the space, they are supposed to be much easier to clean/longer life. Its just that the same surface area in bag form would take up half my shop.

I swapped my 3hp grizzly cyclone filter for a wynn, and love it so far. I used to be able to smell wood dust when i ran the cyclone, now i dont smell a thing unless i start to make a mess. That is aside from the actual CFM performance is much better.

Patrick a couple questions. When you switched to the Wynn filter did you build a new transition for it ? How many more square feet of filter area did you end up with ?