Thread: Oneida Dust Deputy/DeWalt735 planer ?

Oneida Dust Deputy/DeWalt735 planer ?

I cannot find anybody who is using the Dust Deputy to have much bad to say about it and I am considering buying one. I use a DeWalt 735 planer. It is the only planer I have used and therefore have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to me that the chip ejector is strong. If I hook it up directly to a shop vac, it tends to want to overwhelm the vac. I have installed a shop made inlet/outlet collection box between the tool and the vac, which helps a lot, but too much dust gets to the vac filter.

Does anyone have experience with using a DW735 or similarly strong ejecting planer with the Dust Deputy and does the Dust Deputy collect nearly all the dust at it reportedly does with other tools? Additionally I would ask if anyone has adapted the 2" inlet to 4" and used 4" hose, and if there are any problems with that lash up?

I am planning on mounting the Dust Deputy one the 10 gallon tank of my recently expired Shop Vac.

Some people remove the fan from the DW735.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Smile

I don't know. The Dewalt 735 really puts out the air. I have it hooked to my 2 hp dust collector via a cyclone lid on a trash can and I don't even have to run my dust collector. In fact, it is hard to keep the lid on the trash container.

I do have a dust deputy connected to my vac. It works like a charm. I think it would really work well if you would disconnect the DW 735 fan.

I have the same Dewalt 735 Planner, and recently added a dust deputy to my shop vac. Works very well, although I did learn a few tips the hard way. One is that you need to make sure to turn the shop vac on before the planner otherwise it will pop the lid of bucket that sits under the dust deputy. Also, after doing that a few times, the top of the dust deputy cyclone actually separated form the bottom. There's a seam there and it didn't seem to be glued very well. I applied a liberal amount of two part epoxy and it's been working perfectly ever since. With my latest project, i've created about 15 - 20 gallons of sawdust (mostly from the planner) and very little if any has made it past the dust deputy and into the shop vac. Best $100 wood working tool purchase I've ever made.

Do keep in mind that you're going to fill that small bin really, really, REALLY fast with a thickness planer. I can fill my 55 gallon cyclone bin several times in an afternoon without trying all that hard when I'm concentrating on face jointing and thicknessing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you'd be best off venting straight into a course filter bag or can via a 4" hose. I believe a Dust Deputy will be overwhelmed even worse if yr using the same shop vac.

Jeff (don't know last name) built one of my separators and has the 735 exhaust into the separator. I've included a pic. He says it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images