Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crib Project

Crib Project

I finally finished the crib that I have been working on, just in time for our first born, who is due on November 7 (in 8 days)!!!

Thanks to for all of your help on a variety of issues from SMC members, who helped with the design and the build process:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115017

and the finish:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119955
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, Todd. I didn't catch the other threads as I recall, but the end result is certainly well done. The lines, combination of angles and curves, really work, and I like the finish, as well.

This was my second project using mortise and tenon joinery. The first was a small coffee table. For this one, I jumped in full bore. There are a total of 88 M&T joints. The wood is solid hard maple, finished with Target EM6000 tinted black.

The bed frame was difficult to find locally, so i built one out of solid ash.

The crib turns into a toddler bed and then into a headboard and foot board for a full size mattress. This was a fun one, finished just in time!

Thanks John. This was a lot of fun, but by far the most involved project I have done!

Great job Todd!

Nice work Todd. 8 days means you were at it pretty good!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Very nice. Todd. I don't recall seeing one with the concept of break-down to become a head-board and foot-board latter. Clever concept on someone's part. It appeard you can drop the level of the mattress base lower also.. is that the case?

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Todd -

That is one sharp looking crib.....very well done!

Congrats on the little one -- blessings to you and your wife.

Todd, Very nice crib! I need to build one myself before March. I am looking at doing exactly the same design as you did. Would you mind posting where you got the plans or what you used as design requirements? I just don't know what size a standard baby mattress is, or what size a standard toddler mattress is. Any help would be great. Thanks

P.S. I just found your previous post, downloaded the file, and got her working in sketchup. Are these the actual dimensions you ended up going with? Or did you modify them on the fly like I always do during construction? Where did you get your hardware?
    Last edited by Mark Grotenhuis; 10-31-2009 at 10:44 AM.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Todd, you did a great job on the crib. I like the way it can continually be used as the baby grows. That crib will be in use many years.

Sam

11. I really like the shop built mattress support. My next one will incorporate this feature. I've built two with purchased hardware but it's getting too expensive. Nice job. Wally

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grotenhuis View Post
    P.S. I just found your previous post, downloaded the file, and got her working in sketchup. Are these the actual dimensions you ended up going with? Or did you modify them on the fly like I always do during construction? Where did you get your hardware?
    Mark
    Could you post that Sketchup file. It would help. I'm very interested in the design for my future grandkids.

Todd- Great job Sparty
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Mark
    Could you post that Sketchup file. It would help. I'm very interested in the design for my future grandkids.
    Umm yeah I can try. I'll post it online under google sketch-ups 3D warehouse. I'll name it as "Spartan Crib" so you can easily search for it. Otherwise if you cant find it or figure it out I can e-mail you the file directly.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

3 Beds in 1

Very nice. I really like that it grows as your child grows.

Jerry

Guys, thanks for the questions. I should note one significant change from the design in the Sketchup file. I had modeled this crib based upon one sold at Babies R Us and other stores.

However, I made the front of the crib 3-4 inches taller, and then adjusted the sides to fit. I also decided against crown molding. I measured and marked the sides on a scrap piece of wood, and wasn't comfortable that the front would be tall enough to keep the kiddo in there. That resulted in adjustments to the sides, on the fly.

Also, when building, make sure that you download the most recent US Consumer Product Safety Commission regulations regarding cribs. There are specific dimensions that you should follow closely. I also recommend purchasing the mattress you will use first, and ensuring that it is a tight fit.

Lastly, two good build tips:

1. Cut the curves on the bottoms of the side rails, then the mortises, then the curves on top.

2. Print a full size template in sketchup to layout all of the mortises. The spacing is not an even number, and it would be a pain to measure for the 13 mortises and get it right.
    Attached Images Attached Images