Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubby 4-prong drive center

Stubby 4-prong drive center

Here's my latest aquisition - the Stubby drive center! Can't afford the lathe, but this is a really great, HEAVY, well made center. I'm a real tool junkie, like many of you here, and now that I have my new Jet lathe, have been outfitting it. Will post my opinion of it's utility when I get the opportunity to use it. Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's the first one of those I have seen! Very impressive! I have the one that fits in the Oneway Talon and for the couple of times that I have used it - it worked just fine. I am impressed with the mass of this one! Looking forward to seeing what you think of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks like something ready to take off skin and flesh. No thanks.

I got mine for my Stubby 1000 when Bill started making them and it is just an amazing product. the size of it hold just about anything in place and it threads on and off easily.

enjoy, I know I do
    Sascha

Love the girth of this thing, may I inquire how much?

A month or so ago, I was at Bill's warehouse/showroom/office and he showed me this drive.

Two points,

You don't have to use all four blades, as the name implies it is convertible so that you can just use two blades.

the blades can also be resharpened

I think it costs $100 plus s&h
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Like Paul, I'll pass on this one.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

you guys that choose to, go ahead and pass on this one; thanks for posting. i'll go ahead and use it, and give my opinion of it here. mike

Quote Originally Posted by ROY DICK View Post
    Like Paul, I'll pass on this one.

Roy
    just out of curiosity.....

what is the difference between this and a chuck?
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 10-31-2009 at 5:01 PM.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Apples, oranges, walnuts, almonds. The chuck has grips, the spur center has tangs. OK I'm just partial to the so called 'safety' center. I just knew it as something Del Stubbs and Alan Dorr had come up with here in Chico. I'm sure they were in some form before that, but never saw them. The drive center and the live center are the same size and profile and therefore you can flip your turning and have it dead on centered without fuss. Even without turning the lathe off. Also it slips if there is a 'catch' without throwing it in your face. I have them from 1/4" to 1 1/4" and drive 3/8" spindles to porch posts 9' long without problems. I just had problems re-centering and fiddling with spur centers and quit using them 20 years ago.

It is my understanding that the point of the Stubby center is not really for spindle work but for turning rough bowl blanks between centers without screwing up the taper on your lathe. I use this jumbo 2 prong center from best wood tools. http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/2flutquiccha.html in my chuck for starting rough bowl blanks. This is basically the same Idea and very effective for its intended purpose.

It is my understanding that the Stubby centers are very effective for this as well. Everyone that I have talked to with the Stubby center has really liked them. Mike go make some shavings and have a good time.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    Looks like something ready to take off skin and flesh. No thanks.
    every piece of equipment in my shop looks like something ready to take off skin and flesh; unless it looks like something ready to poke holes in skin and flesh. I'm not sure what you're trying to say

Very impressive center. I really like that you can remove 2 points and can sharpen them. Is it machined from aluminum or steel?

Looks like the body is aluminum. More info here:

http://stubbylatheusa.com/Convertibl...Center.100.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    just out of curiosity.....

what is the difference between this and a chuck?
    Joe,
    I prefer chucks. I do have a drive center only untill I get a tenon, then I use the chuck. I just have no need for one of that mass. However, I can understand other turners needing one or wanting one.
    I guess I could have said that before huh?

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.