Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used quick release bench vise

used quick release bench vise

I bought two identical looking used quick release bench vises from a local woodworking supply store. One works pretty good and one does not. The problem is that when trying to tighten the vise, the screw thread disengages from the part that is supposed to hold it tight (the part I'm holding in my hand in the pic). This part looks like it should work fine, the mating threads look okay to me. I've taken them both apart to inspect them, and I can't see any significant differences. When tightening the vise, this part sort of lifts up out of the mating threads and the jaws of the vise slip.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Are generic vises often a hassle? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. A vise that doesn't tighten is not very useful to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I think I had the same problem with a similar vise. I found I had to hold the quick release handle down to prevent the "cam" out. I don't use that vise anymore.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

When you tool it apart it should have had a spring conected to hold the part you have in your hand down tight. You can wind up the spring to make it tighter. The spring is also conected to the quick release lever
    If their was no spring in it then you need to get one. I have a record vise and it looks just like yours, and I just took it apart to clean it. I hope this helps.
    It also might be the long flat bar is not aligned properly
    If one works properly maybe you can figure it out from looking at it. Cheers Ron.
    Last edited by Ron Petley; 10-28-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have never used a quick release vise. I have worked on mechanical things for a living at times.

That said, plus what others have said, my wonderings are on whether the threaded block (in your hand) can go in when turned 180°. If it can does it make a difference?

Just a shot in the dark.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I have never used a quick release vise. I have worked on mechanical things for a living at times.

That said, plus what others have said, my wonderings are on whether the threaded block (in your hand) can go in when turned 180°. If it can does it make a difference?

Just a shot in the dark.

jim
    The piece has a notch on one side that goes into the flat bar quick release mechanism, so the piece cannot be turned 180.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt braun View Post
    The piece has a notch on one side that goes into the flat bar quick release mechanism, so the piece cannot be turned 180.
    Another shot in the dark misses the mark.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I think I had the same problem with a similar vise. I found I had to hold the quick release handle down to prevent the "cam" out. I don't use that vise anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Petley View Post
    When you tool it apart it should have had a spring conected to hold the part you have in your hand down tight. You can wind up the spring to make it tighter. The spring is also conected to the quick release lever
    If their was no spring in it then you need to get one. I have a record vise and it looks just like yours, and I just took it apart to clean it. I hope this helps.
    It also might be the long flat bar is not aligned properly
    If one works properly maybe you can figure it out from looking at it. Cheers Ron.
    All,

Thanks for the input.

Even when I hold the quick release handle with all the pressure I can muster, the vise still slips. This leads me to believe that even if the spring was tighter, it would not solve the problem.

It feels like somehow the screw is forcing the cam off of it. Any more thoughts?

What is the brand name/model of the vice? Maybe find a manual on the net?
    “Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway”
    - John Wayne (1907-1979)

Is the screw bent?
    The Plane Anarchist

Those type vises work the best with buttress threads. Yours has Acme. Buttress threads look like saw teeth seen from the side. They have 1 vertical side,which does not tend to push the half nut apart. Yours has 14 1/2 degree Acme thread,which does allow the half nut to be pushed away from the screw.

This is way late and I'm sure you have fixed the slipping vise. But I just got one off of ebay and the jaws would slip. I found the spring was not wound correctly. After some trial and error, I got the thing on the correct notch. To much and the spring is to tight and might break and the quick disconnect won't work, to little and the treads slip. The lever should wind up at about the 1:00 position and the level should be firm to move but not hard.......

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    This is way late and I'm sure you have fixed the slipping vise. But I just got one off of ebay and the jaws would slip. I found the spring was not wound correctly. After some trial and error, I got the thing on the correct notch. To much and the spring is to tight and might break and the quick disconnect won't work, to little and the treads slip. The lever should wind up at about the 1:00 position and the level should be firm to move but not hard.......
    Josh,

Does the thread of your vise have a vertical side as described by George? I'm afraid the thread may be the problem.

New question:
    What type of oil would you use on the screw? Would WD-40 work?

Have you seen any images of what it should look like? It might be possible to have it made if we could see it in action.

Is your vise similar to the one in the images above? If it is, could you post some images showing what the spring mechanism looks like? My vise is exactly the same as the one above and it still slips.

You also miss 100% of the shots you dont take