Thread: Latest project

Latest project

I haven't posted much lately but here's my latest flat project. It's a small bench designed to fit in a small spot. I needed a bench with a nice that I could smack with a hammer now and then. It's made from bigleaf maple(free), I even got to turn ebony plugs to hide the bolt heads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice looking bench Anthony. It would be a shame to hit it with a hammer.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Very attractive and functional bench, Anthony! I like the fact that you used "good wood" for that top...it can be inspiring when you are doing other woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Very attractive and functional bench, Anthony! I like the fact that you used "good wood" for that top...it can be inspiring when you are doing other woodworking.
    Hey Jim, "good wood" had nothing to do with it "free wood" had every thing to do with it The wood came from a club member who does production work for a furniture factory, the ironic part is that the factory doesn't like the figured wood so some of it trickles down to us. While I was there he was in the middle of hand turning 2500 (yes 2500) bun feet.

Not surprised about them not wanting the figured material in the production environment...takes too much trouble to deal with it so it won't look like your-know-what when they just slap things together. "Matching" is not something they likely want to take the time to do. Their "loss" is your gain!

Anthony, wow, what a nice functional you have there. Any plans for adding a vice? Either way, I'm sure you'll get some good use out of this project. Nice job. The plugs really add some nice, subtle contrast as well. I like it!

Very Nice Anthony

You're getting pretty good at this flat stuff - if you don't need your lathe anymore I'd be happy to get it out of your way

I really like the looks of the bench - does it seem heavy enough for smacking with a hammer occasionaly? What type of jointery did you use for the legs & stretchers? I really like the contrast with the ebony plugs - like Jim said working on something that nice would be a good reminder to do quality work on whatever project you're working on. Nice work!
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Jason, I added the vice late last night. I'll remove it once more for paint, I'm thinking yellow or candy apple red
    Tom, it's all pegged half laps. You can have my lathe when they pry my cold, dead fingers from it

That is a great little bench. I too think that it is awesome to have a little figure in there. On the subject of Not wanting figured wood. I have Kraftmaid cabinets in my kitchen in Maple. The out sides are nice but on the inside in some there is the most gorgeous birdseye maple just about hidden from the eye. It was done for "matching" but I want that outside for all to see!