Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop tunes?

Blog Entries

Shop tunes?

I am doing some research on available options for music in my shop. I am going to ask Santa for a new sound system for the shop. I have a small old boom box type radio now that I have issues with. I live in a slightly remote area and radio reception is limited. It always seems that the stations I want to listen to are staticy or fade in and out. Plus I have not been able to find a station I really like. However, I also want to listen to major sports games from time to time. I really don't want to spend my shop time fiddling with CD's or tapes. So I've been thinking about my alternatives. here is what I have come up with so far. Satellite radio and Internet radio.I know very little about these 2 options, so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,

Just check around for folks tossing a stereo. I had a guy at work GIVE me a digital tuner, receiver, Equalizer and two nice large speakers for FREE. This thing had great sound and tone quality and would blow you out of the shop.!!! I should know....we used to have "stereo wars" in the barracks and I at least one two of the many competitions we had.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Outside Antenna?

If there are FM stations you want to listen to but are in a fringe area, have you tried an outside directional antenna? We like public radio and before New Orleans WWNO put in a rebroadcast station in this area we used an outside antenna to bring in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Actually the antenna was in thew attic, but it did the job.
    18th century nut --- Carl

With what your describing, I'd seriously look into "XM Radio". I can't comment on it but from everything I've heard about it, it sounds to be what your looking for.

Have you looked into iTunes? I use that from my computer pumped thru a receiver and into speakers in my shop. it is free and comes for mac or if you must, it will work on a PC. The only drawback to XM is the monthly charge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Have you looked into iTunes? I use that from my computer pumped thru a receiver and into speakers in my shop. it is free and comes for mac or if you must, it will work on a PC. The only drawback to XM is the monthly charge.
    Tim, I am completely mac illiterate, heck, I don't even know how to spell MAK or is it MAC? But hooking up a computer (PC) to an existing stereo sounds like something I might want to do. Is there special hardware to buy?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Larry,

Just check around for folks tossing a stereo. I had a guy at work GIVE me a digital tuner, receiver, Equalizer and two nice large speakers for FREE. This thing had great sound and tone quality and would blow you out of the shop.!!! I should know....we used to have "stereo wars" in the barracks and I at least one two of the many competitions we had.
    Dennis,
    Thinking about it, I think I gave away my old stereo to a fellow worker about 10 years ago myself. Maybe he will give it back to me .
    Actually, if I could figure out how to get radio over the internet without too much trouble. Like maybe an "internet radio receiver" (if there is such a thing) that is operated something like a regular radio. That would be good.

Larry
    Larry J Browning

Tim, I am completely mac illiterate, heck, I don't even know how to spell MAK or is it MAC? But hooking up a computer (PC) to an existing stereo sounds like something I might want to do. Is there special hardware to buy?
    You might want to buy something like this(I did)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...69635?v=glance

other than that its plug and play...don't worry about the "mac" thing...they ported itunes for the PC
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/

There are a LOT of radio stations that broadcast their programs on the internet plus there are several internet only stations. Windows Media player is all you need, no fees...

Do a google search for the stations you want to listen to and see if they broadcast....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Brian,
    I want something that is as simple to operate as a radio. With a computer, you need to boot it up, start up your browser, go to the right web site, click here, click there... With a radio you just turn it on and instant tunes. This is what I am looking for, a no hastle solution. I just thought that maybe there were other options besides a traditional stereo. I am familiar with real player, musicmatch, winamp, etc, but I view those as a hastle to get going as compared to a radio. I am thinking that I could maybe take advantage of the broadband connection I have with some sort of "internet radio" device. Do you think something like that exists?
    The computer I have in the shop is the one I had 2 computers ago. It's a p133 running win98 with 96k ram, it works great for posting on SMC and doing goggle searches, but it seems to be a little under powered for playing music. I have read a little about satellite radio and internet radio. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with them.
    Larry J Browning

I've not heard of any "internet radio" options that don't use a computer but that would be cool. (Perhaps Al Gore will get something started there ).

Sirius Satellite radio has a car/home/mobile option which includes a boombox that runs on batteries or 110AC. The service is $13/month plus $150 for the equipment. We've talked about this for when we retire and do a lot more traveling but thats 7 years from now.

https://home.sirius.com/shop/bundled...roductsID=1199

For me, i'd look into CD changer or MP3 player that i can plug into a nice stereo. Celtic and hard rock music i enjoy working to, talk radio distractes me too easliy.

Let us know what you come up with....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Blog Entries
    Brian,
    I found this on amazon. However, It looks like it may not work too well.
    Internet radio link

I think that maybe satellite radio looks better. Maybe I should just find a good antenna and just a traditional compact stereo with a remote.

[edit]
    I was doing a search on amazon looking for a small traditional stereo and found this:Phillips MCM530 At first look it seems to have the best of both. I can use it as a traditional stereo and if I ever upgrade my shop computer, I can hook it up to that. Hmmm, I think more research is in order here.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-26-2004 at 10:57 AM.
    Larry J Browning

Yes, looks like it still requires a computer and/or internet as it mentions getting the braodband connection "through your home network". I'd guess it's a usb type device.

If your can justify the $13/month than satellite might be the way to go and with all the stuff you get in the package, you'll have it in the car also. If you go that route i'd be very interested in your impressions.....

Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Yes, looks like it still requires a computer and/or internet as it mentions getting the braodband connection "through your home network". I'd guess it's a usb type device.

If your can justify the $13/month than satellite might be the way to go and with all the stuff you get in the package, you'll have it in the car also. If you go that route i'd be very interested in your impressions.....

Brian
    XM radio has a similar deal only I think it is 9.95 a month. I do kinda like the idea of being able to take it in the car for long trips.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Hey Brian,
    I have been doing some more research on the idea of an "internet radio" I have found this at amazon:
    Philips MC!250

This may be exactly what I am looking for. Frome I can tell it will connect directly to my network and access internet radio without going through and PC.
    Larry J Browning