Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four jaw chuck ..A Strange Elusive Animal

Piece of pipe, drilled and tapped for set screw, works well but is not cute.
    Richard in Wimberley

How about the chuck off an old drill brace? Some of those were four jaw.

Also, McMaster and Enco have tap chucks with a morse taper. A bit expensive.

Instead of going theough all that hassle. Why not just turn a wood handle for each tool. Wood is cheap and a copper water fiting for ferrals work great.

Bob

Square jaw drill chuck

The only thing I can think of that might work is the old braces used before electric drills. These used bits with a tapered square end, and might be able to use with an untapered square bit. Just a thought
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Thanks Creekers for all of your comments and suggestions.
    Sorry if I was unclear with my "drill chuck" description. A photo is attached this time (my granddaughter had my camera).
    Round blanks; in this case up to ½ inch all fit. Just get a chuck, buy an appropriate bolt to screw into the base of it, cut off the head, and insert the shaft in the handle.
    Whatever tool you want to try to make is fine; a wedge, round skew, three point, skewchigouge, or something you dream up. Given these blanks are shorter (about 8 inches) than a normal new tool you right hand is still no father back from the tool rest and is behind the chuck.
    An 8" long blank will still give you at least 4" of usable steel. This seems frugal enough for $4–8 a blank of HHS at WT Tools in Charlotte. Since the "twisting force" will not occur (as in a drill press) an expensive chuck is not necessary.
    I think Leo had the most usable answer for me. I do agree the jaws in old Brace & Bit type chucks were tapered. There are a lot of turners with many various backgrounds that may have known of a "square chuck" application that I had never heard of.
    I will probable just insert square blanks directly into a handle or, it cheap enough have a machine shop turn one end round to fit into the chuck.
    Thanks, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Machine tool "R-8" collets come with a variety of bores including square. These are the collets that are used in the smaller bridgeport style mills. A length of pipe and a draw rod could be used to make a handle sutable to your application. There are even blank "emergency" collets that can be machined to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Conners View Post
    A straight-sided collet chuck can hold square stock pretty well. How about making a pipe handle with a drawbar in it to use a collet? Then you just swap the collet if needed to use a different size bit. You could probably make a wooden handle with a drawbar too if you use some ingenuity.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...gory=874479994
    Ooops! Scott already covered that.
    'scuse me.