Thread: 30amp 220v question

30amp 220v question

I just pulled the trigger on a new bandsaw which requires a 30 amp circuit. My current (sorry) circuit is 20A and in 1/2" conduit. Is it legal for me to run 10ga in a 1/2" conduit after I've stripped out the 12ga which is there at the moment? I can do the work myself easily enough unless I need a larger conduit size. I'm mostly concerned about meeting code, not the physical fit of the wiring. And yes, I know I will need to change out the plugs and receptacles.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The raceway fill calculator, http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...alculator.html, indicates that for 3 THHN 10ga conductors, 1/2" EMT is the minimum size.

That's a pretty big bandsaw to require a 30 amp circuit. 5HP or greater?
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I splurged on the 4.8hp Minimax 16 so I do need the 30 amps Tom. Thanks for the link.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I splurged on the 4.8hp Minimax 16 so I do need the 30 amps Tom. Thanks for the link.
    Yep, 20 amps would be too close to the edge for comfort. (And I thought I had a lot of motor with a 3HP upgrade on my 16" Jet. )
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Consider using stranded wire - it pulls much easier - especially in a tight conduit.