Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mission door shaper cutters

bushings

so if the diameter is not too large and amount of wood being removed is not that great it will do no harm.so style and rail bits would be no problem.thanks.guess you can tell i am new to using this shaper.

"...i am new to using this shaper..."

With that in mind, let me offer one piece of advice that may spare you from heart failure.

NEVER WALK AWAY FROM THE SHAPER WITHOUT TIGHTENING THE SPINDLE NUT!!!!!

This is one of the first things I learned and I learned it the hard way. I was just getting ready to snug the nut down when the phone rang. I went and answered the phone, talked a bit, went back to the shaper, moved the fence into position, snugged it down and fired up the machine. I will draw Mark Twain's "curtain of charity" over the rest of that scene but I will tell you this: I could have gone through my whole life without that experience and never missed it!
    David DeCristoforo

I have a Delta 3HP with a 3/4" spindle, I spin 1 1/4" cutters bushed down to 3/4" all the time. I spin 6" panel raising donuts (freeborne), a 5 1/2" Freud insert panel raising cutter, an Amana profile pro with cutters for passage doors, all no problem. Cabinet sets are no problem and in fact the 1 1/4" sets work better given the larger diameter.

If it is the Shaker profile you seek, all the advice about the Mission style doors is off. You need a cutter set to make that profile.

THANKS EVERYONE seems ebay has more 1 1/4 cutters than 3/4.learned alot.dave and i will remember to tighten the nut.i did that in the router table one time and took the afternoon off.thanks to all.

Cool

So what is the difference in Mission style vs. Shaker style cabinets?

In looking at pictures from cabinet manufacturers they appear to be the same.