Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mission door shaper cutters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile mission door shaper cutters

found mission door shaper cutter set at mlcs for $149 infinity is $290.has anyone used mlcs cutters.thoughts on other brands appreciated.thanks jim

I have used the infinity sets, they work great. I have not used any MLCS cutters. I have also had god luck with Freeborne, Amana and Freud.

Jim, I am using the Infinity mission cutters now while building a door. The Infinity work great. Infinity are the only ones I have used.

Sam

I'm in the process now of "troubleshooting" the cutters I got from MLCS. Brand new out of the box the gap on both the tongue and profile was > 1/32. CSR told me I had to buy shims. Tech support said send em back for evaluation.

They rec'd them Wednesday of last week. Still waiting to hear of my fate..........
    Last edited by Kevin Godshall; 10-19-2009 at 7:59 AM. Reason: spelling d'oh

cutters

thanks.kevin that is exactly what i want to avoid.looks like i will have to save more money.thanks again jim.

For square edge doors, you don't need a "cutter set". Get two 3/4" straight cutters of the same diameter, a 1/4" straight cutter, a one quarter inch thick spacer and some shims. Not only will you be able to make "mission style" doors with these, you will find a plethora of other uses for them. FWIW, Freeborn's Tantung cutters are my favorite
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 10-19-2009 at 7:21 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    For square edge doors, you don't need a "cutter set". Get two 3/4" straight cutters of the same diameter, a one 1/4" straight cutter, a one quarter inch thick spacer and some shims. Not only will you be able to make "mission style" doors with these, you will find a plethora of other uses for them. FWIW, Freeborn's Tantung cutters are my favorite
    Just remember to sharpen both of the larger cutters at the same time to keep the inside edge square/coplanar.
    JR

"Just remember to sharpen both of the larger cutters at the same time..."

Good point!
    David DeCristoforo

david what is a good place to buy the cutters.

http://www.freeborntool.com/straight_top_groovers.htm

Hit the "Dealer Locater" link at the top of the page
    David DeCristoforo

Jim, check your prices relative to the Infinity cutter sets. There most expensive cope and stick set is $180 right now, and they have a set for mission style (basic tongue and groove) doors with a 5.5MM groover for plywood panels for $129. Not sure where you arrived at $290, but I can't find anything that expensive from Infinity.

We have made "Mission" style doors at work as David describes, though it helps to have a dedicated set if you make a lot of these as they may not match well after several sharpenings unless you have them sharpened as a pair. We have also used Freeborn profile sets and simply put the profile to the interior, though this is on 1 1/16" thick doors where the full profile can be rendered on each side of the door. We had a customer last summer change her mind and go from a quarter round profile to a "Mission" style after the doors had been made but before hinge installation, and we simply mounted the doors backwards! She loved them and we didn't have to charge her to remake them. You could also make them with little more than a dado set on the TS.

cutters

peter it was a shaker 3 piece set.cost was 259.00 item 00-809.it has raised panel cutter also.

13. I'd asked a bit ago about Amana as a brand and their mission and shaker bits. Both adjustable.. Seemed that people liked the brand and had nothing bad to say about them. Cost is around $130-150, but does not come with the raised panel bit.

bushings

i have a delta 3 hp shaper with 3/4 spindle.is it wise to use 3/4 by 1 1/4 bushings.ebay has freeborn tongue and groove set that is 1 1/4 bore.bid is $149.00 now.ends tomorrow.thanks

I don't see a problem with the bushings on your application, the cutters are relatively small and not removing much stock.

You should be fine................Rod.