Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bob savage1 CNC start up advice

Tell your neighbors it's free MULCH!

I have a large planer and jointer and they fill up the dust collector WAY faster than the cnc.

Nick

btw yet another response related to sawdust but if you go by disposal with the brown paper green/yard waste bags check out what this guy did.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122859

Bob,

A CNC router won't produce the volume of chips that you would think. Unlike a planner which is a monster that produces chips faster then you can empty the bags, routers produce a much finer chip and you don't remove near the amount of material.

For instance you have seen the picture of the chip box I posted a couple of days ago, it will easily hold more chips than I can produce in a year. I make signs, the type of work you do will definately impact your chip volume. I transfer the chips from the box into 30 gallon trash cans and take them to a local dumpster.

Remember, if you are working with Corian, acrylics and various other types of plastic material you won't be able to dispose of chips "in the woods" like some do with their wood chips.

Now, how about sharing some information concerning the CNC router you have decided to purchase. I know that by now you have made a decision, which make and model?

As usual, that's excellent information, Keith. I have a feeling that I'll produce so little chip waste that it won't even impact the volume of trash I put out each week.

Well, I can't just let you call me out like that, now can I. Because I've not actually placed the order, I was going to hold off, but my job situation looks good (signed an offer letter on Thurs), and I'm on-target to place the order this Friday, Oct 30, so...

Joey spent time talking with me about which options are easily upgradeable and which aren't, so I'm ordering the CAMaster CR-408 Cobra with X3 option, but with a router instead of a spindle. I'm also purchasing Aspire.

If the day comes where I "need" and can justify the spindle, I'll order one. For now, I'll have a fantastic American made machine, with the 3 tool changer and from what I can tell, some of the best support in the business.

I'm very excited!

And by the way, thanks again for all of your help on this forum and on the phone. You've been a great help.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

when i was machining the chess players we were taking out 75 to 100 gallons a day (yes it is all over the garden) nesting plywood and lots of cutouts will produce a pretty good yield as well but most other uses wil be a bag a month at best. i have the x3 head on my router with the 3" of extra clearance camaster gives in addition to what is needed the machine is already able to use the rotary axis utilizing two of the z's, i wrote a pdf on this.

jim