Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bob savage1 CNC start up advice

Bob,

No design required. Build the size plywood box you want and run the exhaust from your dust collector to the box, its just that simple.

When you get your new DC home throw away the bags and all the junk that comes with it. Place the pump on the floor and hook your DC hose to the inlet side.

Here is a picture of the chip box I am using at CNU, it is the shipping box that the ShopBot came in
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=chip

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TEMP142CX.html

So I would take the output at the top right side of this and instead going into that filter, send it outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Bob,

No design required. Build the size plywood box you want and run the exhaust from your dust collector to the box, its just that simple.

When you get your new DC home throw away the bags and all the junk that comes with it. Place the pump on the floor and hook your DC hose to the inlet side.

Here is a picture of the chip box I am using at CNU, it is the shipping box that the ShopBot came in
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=chip

CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage1 View Post
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TEMP142CX.html

So I would take the output at the top right side of this and instead going into that filter, send it outside?
    Bob, the Pennstate machine that you posted the link to is a bit costly to use with Keith's method. A cheaper machine would work. With Keith's method, everything dust and exhaust are vented outside. The cyclone system set up this way would separate out the dust and only move the exhaust outside.
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    Bob, the Pennstate machine that you posted the link to is a bit costly to use with Keith's method. A cheaper machine would work. With Keith's method, everything dust and exhaust are vented outside. The cyclone system set up this way would separate out the dust and only move the exhaust outside.
    Jim J.
    Thanks, Jim. I think I'm going to stick with the cyclone system even though it's several hundred more than a Harbor Freight based system. I'm doing this in my garage and don't want to annoy the neighbors or make a mess on the side of the house.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

I have and have use for the past four years A ClearVue cyclone. It is licensed and built on the Bill Pentz design. I cannot speak for the others but I expect them all to be much better than any bag type.

I am very happy with mine and I have run 6" duct to every tool in my shop.

The ONLY down side to a very good dust collector is that I cannot lift the 55 gallon drum to dump it in the dumpster when it is full of fine dust from the sanders. I have to let my son do that for me. Planer and jointer chips I can handle, but still let my son do it.

I do like that fact that I can see what is going on with the ClearVue unit, but a metal one that is working would be just as good I am sure.

The proof is in how much dust gets past the cyclone and ends up on the final filters.

I even have a baby ClearVue cyclone for the shop vac. I never have to clean the shop vac or that paper filter that gets all stopped up with dust when not using a cyclone.

If anyone is close to Charlottesville, VA and has a CAMaster machine, I would love to stop by and see it-

I pick up my second ShopBot machine tomorrow. I am very happy with ShopBot.

ed
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post
    I have and have use for the past four years A ClearVue cyclone. It is licensed and built on the Bill Pentz design. I cannot speak for the others but I expect them all to be much better than any bag type.
    I looked at those, but they're so much more than the Penn State. Cost is really the only reason the ClearVue is not being considered, because as you stated, I would really like the ability to see what's happening in the cyclone system.

I have to let my son do that for me. Planer and jointer chips I can handle, but still let my son do it.
    I like your style!
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post

The ONLY down side to a very good dust collector is that I cannot lift the 55 gallon drum to dump it in the dumpster when it is full of fine dust from the sanders. I have to let my son do that for me. Planer and jointer chips I can handle, but still let my son do it.am sure.
    OT but Gets fun in my shop, I have two 55 gallon drums that I have to throw in the back of my van, drive 5 miles, and dump in the woods at home.

The 55 gallon drums work nicely, and are not too bad to move around but I can fill them up pretty fast. Milling a 8' long 4" thick 24" wide solid ash work bench top the other week I filled up both of my 55 gallon drums in a day and a half.

If you don't have a local source of 55 gallon fiber, or plastic drums a 55 gallon sized plastic trash can will work just fine if you make a plywood lid, and ring to fit inside at the top to keep it from collapsing from suction. If you don't have a place to dump sawdust this is a good way to quickly acquire allot of bins.

Hmmm, I wonder how wood chips burns in a fireplace? Very quickly, I would presume

I'll need to find a strategy outside of filling my trash cans every week, for chips.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Hmmm, I wonder how wood chips burns in a fireplace? Very quickly, I would presume

I'll need to find a strategy outside of filling my trash cans every week, for chips.
    Just get some 55 gallon ish trash cans, and make some plywood rings for them. Make a plywood top that attaches up to a section of hose coming of your cyclone. When your done just pull the trash can off and put its original lid on and grab another.

When I attended center for furniture craftsmanship, since they didn't dump sawdust on campus they had 4-5 trash cans setup like how I mentioned above on each of the cyclones for the 3 shops. No need to go shovel or dump chips from a drum into a trash can.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 10-22-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    Just get some 55 gallon ish trash cans, and make some plywood rings for them. Make a plywood top that attaches up to a section of hose coming of your cyclone. When your done just pull the trash can off and put its original lid on and grab another.

When I attended center for furniture craftsmanship, since they didn't dump sawdust on campus they had 4-5 trash cans setup like how I mentioned above on each of the cyclones for the 3 shops. No need to go shovel or dump chips from a drum into a trash can.
    Thanks, Michael.

The solution I ned is what to do with the chips after they're in the 55 gallon container. I'm putting in a hobby shop at home, so the cumulation of drums isn't going to be a good solution. I'm in an area where we have green, recycle and trash containers that are lifted by a mechanical arm on the truck. They won't empty drums.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Thanks, Michael.

The solution I ned is what to do with the chips after they're in the 55 gallon container. I'm putting in a hobby shop at home, so the cumulation of drums isn't going to be a good solution. I'm in an area where we have green, recycle and trash containers that are lifted by a mechanical arm on the truck. They won't empty drums.
    I would call a few cabinet shops in your area and see what they do, since they are likely to know the quickest and most economical way to do it in your locality. Unless you know somebody who will let you get rid of them on there land.

I just dump mine out in the woods on my parents land having the luxury of living in a rural area. However I did grow up in a suburban area so I know what can be involved in disposing of stuff.

Really depends how long it can take to fill a bin.

If I am milling stuff at the planer and jointer all day I can fill up a drum in less than a day. However sometimes both of my drums last me 2 weeks or more. If Both are full and I am in the middle of something I scoop a bunch into a 30 gallon leaf/brush bag. By the way you should see if your municipality picks those up.

Can't wait to build my permanent shop so I can just dump them right outside in a pile but I don't think my landlord would be too happy with that now.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 10-22-2009 at 2:26 PM.

chips

My days in a cab shop are gone but when I had chips and dust to get rid of I called a local horse stable. as long as I did not cut any thing pressure treated they would come and get them. Horses trample the bottom of there pin if a dirt floor. add some horse waste and bam you have a mud hole. The guy would come in a truck load up the bags (we used plastic 6' long bags) and spread them down to keep the floor in tack. a goon rain comes and he would call us to see if we had some.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I would call a few cabinet shops in your area and see what they do, since they are likely to know the quickest and most economical way to do it in your locality. Unless you know somebody who will let you get rid of them on there land.

Really depends how long it can take to fill a bin.

Can't wait to build my permanent shop so I can just dump them right outside in a pile but I don't think my landlord would be too happy with that now.
    Michael,

You bring up some good points, first and foremost, the quantity of chips. I have only evenings and weekends to work and expect that chip generations would be low enough to put in the trash and/or green waste.

If I get beyond that somehow, I'll take your advice and find out how local cabinet shops are dealing with wood waste.

I wish I could just shoot the chips onto the slope behind my house, but the neighbors down the hill would be upset.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard View Post
    My days in a cab shop are gone but when I had chips and dust to get rid of I called a local horse stable. as long as I did not cut any thing pressure treated they would come and get them. Horses trample the bottom of there pin if a dirt floor. add some horse waste and bam you have a mud hole. The guy would come in a truck load up the bags (we used plastic 6' long bags) and spread them down to keep the floor in tack. a goon rain comes and he would call us to see if we had some.
    Now that is a great idea! Not only are there some wealthy neighborhoods around that have horse stables on their property, but there are also small "ranches" in the hills nearby.

I'll bet I could find a resident or two that would like free wood chips...
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Another cyclone option

Bob
    I have one of these in my shop. A Veritas Cyclone lid from Lee Valley tools. It is clear on top, so I can see how full the 55 gallon can is getting. I have it hooked up to a small 3/4 horse power portable wall mounted dust collection unit from Rockler hardware.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1
    I have 3 stations in my shop where I can attach the dust collecter on the wall, wheel over the cyclone, and plug the hose in.
    I weighed the pros and cons of putting in a larger fixed system, but I did not want to tie up any more floor space. Plus this dust collection system is less money.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.