Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel Macro 101

Corel Macro 101

I'm trying to install a macro and can't quite figure out how to do it. I know that it must be saved in the GMS folder....which I have done.....but when I go to tools, macros, all.....it's not there. When I try to install the macro (the file is supposed to self install) I get errors and it doesn't work.

I bought the full version of X4, so that shouldn't be the issue....but strangely, under documentation, there isn't really anything about installing macros.....only creating your own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I do not have much experience with macros either, but I have one suggestion, did you try restarting Corel?

Ruben

Yup.....even rebooted my computer......still didn't work.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Have you ask the source were you get the macro if it's compatible with X4?

Some times macros are design for different version that don't work in a newer versions.

Ruben

Corel macros are based on Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). So what version of windows you are using vs where the macro was created might affect this functionality. Also, there is some information about macros available from the Corel
    website.

VBA has a separate help section:
    (looks like it works just like this for X4 also...)
    From the Corel website...

To learn more about VBA and VBA macros, you can consult the CorelDRAW VBA Help and the VBA Programming Guide for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3.

• To access the CorelDRAW VBA Help, click Tools > Visual Basic > Visual Basic Editor, and press F2. In the Object browser, choose CorelDRAW from the Library list box, and press F1.
    • To access the VBA Programming Guide for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3, on your Windows taskbar, click Start > All programs > CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 > Documentation.

If it's a gms file (like radialarray.gms) what initially tripped me up was how to access it once in the gms folder. In X4 it is Tools -> Macros -> Run macros - and then comes the weird part. It looks (at last to me) like nothing is there but when you click on the lower button next to "Macros in" you get a pop-out list of al the macros in the gms older. THEN it works (assuming you have selected the appropriate object if needed, like with the radialarray macro from Aaron here at SMC).
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    but when I go to tools, macros, all.....it's not there.
    What is the file extension on the macro file? Is it .GMS
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

OK, after 11 hours, I finally figured out how to install it!!!!!

Dave, you actually helped me solve it......it was an installation program, not a file with the .gms extension. So after unzipping it, I right clicked on it and instead of open.....there is an option to run it as Administrator......it installed in less than a milli-second.

OK......so this macro is AWESOME!!!!!! It takes horizontal text and makes it vertical:

TEXT

To:

T
    E
    X
    T

all in one click!

OK, after 11 hours, I finally figured out how to install it!!!!!

Dave, you actually helped me solve it......it was an installation program, not a file with the .gms extension. So after unzipping it, I right clicked on it and instead of open.....there is an option to run it as Administrator......it installed in less than a milli-second.

OK......so this macro is AWESOME!!!!!! It takes horizontal text and makes it vertical:

TEXT

To:

T
    E
    X
    T

all in one click!
    Steve - did you go through all that just to avoid pressing the return button 3 times?
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

LOL! Yep!

I've never installed or used a macro before......so I really wanted to learn.....I only crashed my computer 7 times trying to install that thing!

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Are you running X4 and X5 on the same system? I totally booted X4 from mine to give X5 a clean slate.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dave, you actually helped me solve it.
    Steve, that was the whole point of me asking. Since it did not show up in the list, there were only two possibilities, installed in the wrong GMS folder or it did not have the GMS extension and was therefore not a macro file.
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Steve, that was the whole point of me asking. Since it did not show up in the list, there were only two possibilities, installed in the wrong GMS folder or it did not have the GMS extension and was therefore not a macro file.
    OK, so now I'm trying to install a second one (WITH a GMS extension) and it still says that I do not have permission.....and this time, install as administrator is not an option. When I click on the zipped file and try to save it in the GMS folder, it says I do not have permission. These macros are more of a hassle then they are worth.......

When I click on the zipped file and try to save it in the GMS folder, it says I do not have permission. These macros are more of a hassle then they are worth.......
    That is Vista doing that. Are you using Home Premium? Extract the files in a public folder then transfer the ones you need to the GMS folder.

You can change the security permissions of the folder but easier to do as I suggested above.
    Dave J

You're a genius Dave.....it worked! Thanks!