Thread: Newbie here

Newbie here

Greetings All,
    My name is Aaron and I am new to woodworking. I am learning and attempting to aquire the nessesary tools to have a handtool only woodshop. Why my wife insists on parking her car in my woodshop is beyond me, but that's another thread. Attached you will find my latest project, a counter top for our laundry room. I dressed and joined five red oak boards for the top. When my wife mentioned she might want to drop a sink in it I decided to put a lip on the edge and added 3/4 inch plywood underneath. The plywood is attached with wood screws to allow for movement. I learned quite a bit on this project:
    1. Next time I'll tongue and groove the boards or at least rabbet them
    2. Cutting 3/4" sheet goods with a 14 inch tool box saw is hard work
    3. Hand scrapers are magical once you get them tuned correctly
    4. Cutting 3/4" sheet goods with a 14 inch tool box saw is hard work
    5. I need a good crosscut saw, but at this point would take a bad one
    6. Cutting 3/4" shee , , , you get the idea

The finish is a varnish/boiled linseed oil/spirits mix, about 5-6 coats with a little sanding in between. The lumber dressing and jointing was done with machines as I just recently aquired a jointer plane and I'm tuning it as we speak (King Kut No. 8) but scrapers and hand drills finished the project out. Glad to be here and I look forward to learning from you all. Thank you for reading.
    ~Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oops

I must apoligize. I thought I had posted this in the projects section. Would one of the mods mind moving this to a more appropriate area? I will pay more attention next time.
    ~Aaron "It's a Wonder I Still Have All My Fingers" Hall

Nice looking top! Oil/varnish finishes are a favorite of mine too! If you drop a sink in there, though, you might consider a more durable varnish.

To comment on yr lessons learned: A biscuit joiner or Dowel jig can help with alignment. Splines are good too, but you'd probably need a table saw for that.

2, 4, 6: Sure you don't want at least a circular saw? You can do a lot with a good guide...

3. I totally agree. Have you experimented with handplanes? They are similarly magical!

Blog Entries
    Aaron,

Welcome to the Creek. Nice looking work.

You might try a search here on SMC on how to make a saw vice. Then buy a crappy saw and sharpen it yourself. You will be surprised how easy it is to make a saw cut like a champ.

I think there are some links to information about saws in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs thread at the top of Neanderthal Haven.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey, I tried it and even I sharpened a saw.

That might be a "Keen Kutter" No. 8. I think that is what the initials stand for. Does anybody know about these? I think they were around 1900-1950. I am wondering if that is one of the brands Stanley made for a particular store?

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    That might be a "Keen Kutter" No. 8.
    Brian
    ROFL at myself. I believe you are correct, it is Keen and not King. Ahh, I just love being "new". For reasons of learning (and humility) I think I will refrain from editing my origonal post.

Hi Aaron, welcome to the slope of hand tool woodworking... Thats how I do all of my wood working and realy enjoy it! Hoppe you do to!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Hey, I tried it and even I sharpened a saw.

That might be a "Keen Kutter" No. 8. I think that is what the initials stand for. Does anybody know about these? I think they were around 1900-1950. I am wondering if that is one of the brands Stanley made for a particular store?

Brian
    Keen Kutter was a brand name used by Simmonds Hardware, and Stanley did make planes that were branded as such. A bit of Googling will get you some good info. If I can locate it, I will post a link with history of Simmonds/Keen Kutter... if I can find it, DAMKIT....

Just so ya know, cutting 3/4" sheet goods with a 14 inch tool box saw is hard work.

Nice top!

Welcome to SMC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Welcome to the creek.

Going the hand-tool rout is a pretty bold decision. If your going to go that way I would suggest getting at the very lest a few safe power tools.

A cordless/corded drill is a must have, and a handheld jigsaw is very safe. I would also recommend a handheld circular saw which is also a very safe tool provided your work is supported, and you keep both hands on the tool.

A circular saw is capable of some pretty accurate cuts in sheet goods, and even for ripping a board straight with a shop made guide, or some of the commercial systems on the market. Having a few very basic power tools will help you get into larger projects and will help substantially with carpentry projects around the home.

I don't know what your budget is but many also consider the bandsaw to be a hand tool. Bandsaws are also very safe if you are careful, and work very very well with hand tools. That would also save you the labor of ripping stock by hand. A small 14" bench-top bandsaw doesn't take up alot of space.

Having a small portable thickness planer is also nice and they can be stored away on a shelf very easily. You can flatten out your stock with a hand-plane and then verry accuratly thickness it. Once again this is an extremely safe tool, and not very expensive either.

The above tools would greatly expedite stock preparation and let you focus on cutting joinery, instead of trying to re-saw an 8' long 10" thick board with a handsaw. You would be able to get into some more complex projects quicker. The suggested tools really don't take up any space.

With that being said get some good hand tools as well if you plan to use them frequently. Learn how to sharpen them before you even try to use them. Most hand-tools are quite easy to get a feel for and learn once they are sharp and properly tuned. Dull tools are also dangerous.

Build or Buy a good workbench too. Trying to make furniture by hand on a door on sawhorses with no proper vices is just a bad idea. A decent work bench is probably the most important tool for work with hand-tools.

before you make any decisions or plans for a bench I would highly recommend Christopher Schwartz's (no relationship) book "Workbenches" Even if you don't build the benches featured in the book you will gain quite an insight into what makes a bench good.

Finally once you get the basics have fun, and build something

Welcome Aaron.. you did a nice job prepping the top. I use many hand tools every project but I have pretty much gone power so I want comment on what you need as some of the others. But.. I just wanted to add that by learning to use a hand or card scraper early is a very wise move as regardless if you stay hand tool or mix power.. there are certain hand tools that are in-valuable in either world.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler