Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: rotary axis

rotary axis

with the possible and existing release of rotary axis toolpathing i am wanting to learn how the fellows who have them use them.

this will help many of us who are new to this proceed with new rotarys whether we build them or buy them

i have attached a diagram of what i know so far, photos will be truley appreciated i want to also find out how many of us have them and who may eventually get one

1) Machine
    2) Control Software
    3) Alignment of rotary axis (along X or along Y)
    4) Letter used to identify rotary axis ( A/ B / ?)
    5) Maximum length of material which can be machined
    6) Maximum diameter of material which can be machined

jim

maybe just maybe eventually i will learn to spell!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rotary Axis

Jim

For my Sherline Milling Machine I have a CNC rotary axis
    It can mount on either axis ( X or Y )
    I use it on the X axis
    For my software it is A axis ( flashcut )
    I can mount 15 inch long items between centers
    Max Dia. is probably 6 inch in the vertical position
    probably 12 in the vertical
    the x axis table is 18 inch +
    and the Y axis is 9 inch

ken

Also have a manual one for the other milling machine
    both of them are sherline rotary tables
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

thanks ken!!

ok i spelled rotary wrong

i have completed the hardware and ran my first files

i have a lot to learn!!!!

first files ran great

jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYiUTpm_LE

Great Job keep it turnning and have fun.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

That is awesome!! I haven't been following along. Did you buy the rotary, or build it?

By the way, love the heart covered chip bag.

HAHAHA... I haven't cut a single part, don't even have a machine yet, but I want a rotary!
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Wink

all of the parts were camaster, i butchered the end stock parts and built a larger rail system, i have a bunch of drives and parts from all the reworking i have done on the routers over the last two years, joey, paul and i are working on solving the hardware issue so they can be used on virtually any machine top, side, under (just kidding) my wife saw the video and pointed at the columns in front of the house so here we go!!

with a lathe of any length one could stack parts to obtain any height

jim

i will say this to those who are considering this, there are software innovations in process that will de mystify this for the rest of us who do not have the luxury of expensive software. at this time programs like vectric, wrapper and indexer by rich are bringing this closer by the minute, as well there are forum members who are much better versed in simple code alterations that will produce this type of work, vectric has announced they will eventually provide rotary toolpathing and for this i will wait!!

jim

LOL! I have no experience and no machine, and my wife's already point around the house too.

I think I'm going to get a machine and figure out vcarving before I move to wanting a rotary.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

if you can get a few extra inches of gantry, it makes the lathe a lot easier later on!!

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    if you can get a few extra inches of gantry, it makes the lathe a lot easier later on!!
    Thanks for the tip!
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    So, not only is Joey quick with e-mail replies on a Saturday morning, but CAMaster is thinking ahead and already building the machines with this in mind. Gotta love foreward thinking...
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

I can see lots of different applications with that rotary with metal work.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

Blog Entries
    1) Machine I have 3 with 4th axis. Kitako 10 spindle, CAMaster 510 ATC and ShopBot PRS Alpha
    2) Control Software In order, Fanuc 10 series, WinCnc and ShopBot
    3) Alignment of rotary axis (along X or along Y) In order, X, X, X and Y for the ShopBot
    4) Letter used to identify rotary axis ( A/ B / ?) A
    5) Maximum length of material which can be machined In order, 50 Inches, 101 inches, 86 and 32 inches.
    6) Maximum diameter of material which can be machined In order, 16 inches, 12 inches and 8 inches.

This was the first project I made with the CAMaster Lathe shortly after getting it home and setup. This does not include the test cut that I have on the Youtube Video. It is probably number 1,000~something for me as far as 4th axis projects go. Notice that the tapered post are left and right twist. The g-code for this type of project can be generated by making a 3D model and carving it using a 1/2 inch ball mill or simply by using a text editor and side cutting them using a 1/2 inch end mill. It depends on your level of experience and knowledge. Basically, nothing is impossible but there are limits.

Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 10-27-2009 at 4:40 PM.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Guy, nice design, like the slow long spirals.

Question, how did you set up the machine to cut the angles on the top and side of the head board? I assume it was on the cnc.
    George