Thread: What's your favorite face-grain hollowing tool.

What's your favorite face-grain hollowing tool.

I'm looking for suggestions for the best tool for hard-wood, face-grain hollow forms, or bowls with undercut rims.

Thanks for your responses.

homemade oland tool. or a thompsons bowl gouge. or if it is really really really hard, like dry locust, i have a diamond tipped homemade tool. but that is only if it is rally hard because you can only make an 1/8 wide cut per pass
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Hard to beat a bowl gouge

John, On side or face grain with the length of the grain 90 degrees to the spindle, it is hard to beat a bowl gouge of some sort. For making an under cut a scraper of some sort if it is too deep to do with the gouge. If it is end grain I use my own drill bit creation and change to a scraper or HSS tool bit for the undercut. A nice sharp scraper will do most all of it also, just ask Robbo Hippie, he loves to do a lot with a scraper.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff, you can go deeper with a gouge of the right size than you can with a same sized scraper. all of my hollowform peices are done using only a bowl gouge
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I prefer gouges when the amount of opening/undercut will allow ... and the rest of the time I will still do what I can reach with the gouge. The deeper undercuts will require something else, usually some form of scraper on a hook tool or similar. Every piece is different.

I like my hunter tools. They do a good job undercutting and if you ride the bevel you can get a smooth finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.