Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic Laminating sheet for router table

Well I asked about 6 guys at this one Lowe's

Today I went to Home Depot, I was told it's special order. I'll try another Lowe's or cabinet shop.

2. Formicais special order? That's crackers... No clue where it is in HD's, but really, take a walk to the back right of Lowes and chances are you'll spot it in the steel opposite the slab counters.

Still can't find it? Go to the cabinets section and ask where the counter tops are kept. It'll be in that area.

our menards sells half sheets. also lowes, but whole only. back left corner.

i had to oreder a sheet at lowes, although i wanted the color they have that was closest to delta grey. They may have had some in stock. 4X8 was right around $50 i believe

I went through this about 15 years ago. Back then Home Depot carried 48x96 Formica sheets in the store. You could walk in and find lots of pieces with big chips or cracks, and they’d let you have it for half price. Today that’s all over, and also at Lowe’s, I suspect. They have wised up and no longer carry the sheets in the store. You have to order them. They come in intact, and the store has eliminated all that waste.

Now I need to rebuild the table for a new router lift with a different size plate. This time I think I’ll approach a cabinet maker for an off cut. I only need about 32 x 27 and 12 x 27 (split by the miter slot).

I remember about 15 years ago when Lowes bought out a local store called Eagles. They then had a huge parking lot sale where they sold off anything in the store that Lowes was not going to carry.

It was raining the day I went there, and found some sheets of various color Formica. They were mostly 36x96 sheets, sized for cabinets, and were, I think, reduced to $10 a sheet. I offered them $50 for the whole stack, and took home over 30 sheets, many of which turned out to be close to the Delta Grey color. Still got about 15 sheets left.

Some had broken corners, but most were fine.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I would just order a 4x8 sheet of Wilsonart D315-60 Platinum gray matte finish. I always keep a bit around the shop since it is my preferred color for tops and jigs. I also usually keep some matte black HPL around for accents on some fence and jig parts. I just keep larger pieces rolled up in the box HD or Lowes will ship it to you in. A heat gun will help you flatten it out if it has too much curve in it before application if you have been storing it for a while. Be careful cutting it on a table saw. It tends to want to slide under a fence so having a piece of 1/4" plywood next to the fence the laminate can ride on top of will prevent it from doing that.

FYI for applying smaller tops/pieces the best contact glue I have found is 3M spray cans of High Strength 90. It is way easier to apply than rolling or brushing on contact cement.

I have two 12' pieces that I bought off of CL because they were cheap, still new rolls in boxes-one white, and one black. Laid out in the Sun, on plywood, and sawhorses, it flattens out fairly quickly. It comes pretty fast if you do order a special size, and color.