Thread: pricing question

pricing question

i know that there have been hundreds of threads about pricing, but this is the first time i am selling stuff other than to family. i am going to my churches craftshow/bazarr . my mom and i have different ideas on what the price range should be for some things. i dont wanna sell them for to little, but i dont wanna have the price so high that i dont sell at all.

im not sure how to repost a picture i have already used, so im stuck with just giving you the links so some of them.

im not sure if this will make a difference or not in what the price should be, but this is the middle of the tourist area of lancaster county.

what do you think the price should be for some of these peices?
    #1 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112117
    #2 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110481
    #3 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106476
    #4 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106148
    i will have a couple peices like #3 and 4. they are made from the wood i got from my church.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    The poplar would be easiest to sell, and the pine should do nicely as well. The two cracked items are gonna be really tough sellers, unless you "artisticly" fill in those gaps.
    Good luck on the sales,
    Norm

Not an easy question

Curtis, The price put on anything should reflect the desire of customers to buy the item. Some people will buy it because they know you, some will buy things because they think they should, and some won't give it the time of day. It is hard to say but you have to be happy with the price you ask and not be dissapointed if nothing sells. I hate to be blunt but the 2 cracked ones would be tough to sell, the other 2 the shape is much better.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Curtis,
    Hard to say. Like the other posters, the two cracked ones will be more difficult to sell. One of my sisters lived in York for a number of years. She bought a nice elm vase for them with a few beads and coves, maybe 8 inches tall. She asked me how much I would charge for one like it. I said about $65 to $80. She gasped because she paid $350 for it. I don't have much luck selling hollow forms.

robo hippy

I wouldn't even attempt to sell the cracked ones unless its for super cheap. Personally I wouldn't even want a piece on my table if it had a crack like that in it. It just seems to shotty, unless of course you, as norm said, "Artistically" fix it.

Curtis, in the spirit of actually answering your question (and hopefully not offending you), I'll offer up some suggested prices that I would expect to see on these pieces if I came across them at a bazarre. Also, I should note that since this is a church bazaar, my tendency would be to price them a bit lower since they are going for a good cause. At a regular craft show, I would price pieces 3 and 4 about $20 more and in a gallery, even higher since you will be paying a commission to the owners.

piece 1: $29
    piece 2: $39
    piece 3: $49
    piece 4: $69

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Dave Schell; 10-14-2009 at 3:26 PM.

the money to the church is the cost for the table. the pine and poplar though, i am donating a portion of the profit to the youthgroup. thank you for your help

Curtis - best of luck with your sales!

I am curious as to what prices your Mom suggests as it has been my experience that most of the time women are the ones doing the buying and there is a good chance your Mom has a better idea than any of us as to how much your turnings will sell for. Remember - this is for your church - so the idea is to sell everything and raise money.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good question Steve. I always consult with my wife on pricing for direct sales, and with gallery owner for sales at her place. Often we agree, sometimes not.
    Richard in Wimberley

Could you compare to other turners prices ----------maybe ????? ;-))))))

http://dunntoaturn.com/
    Have fun and take care

i think im gonna go off the "daughters of thor" pricing from the link from Leo.