Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid to buy new tools

Talking I'm afraid to buy new tools

They always seem to bring family and friends! As a beginning hobbyist, I try to buy things on a needed basis but last time rockler had a sale, I figured I could use a set of chisels and a angle plane. Then I realized they weren't really sharp. Then come a some sharpening stones, honing guide and a grinder for hollow grinding. The grinder bring its own friends, white wheel, dressing stick, wheel truing stick, grinding guide. AHHH, should have left the chisels alone .

Same goes for the on sale starter dust collection kit. It came with some 2 1/2 tubes, blast gates. It brought more flex hoses, addtional adapters, dust ports, and a bunch more. Should've just stayed with the current shop vacuum

Oh well, rant's over. I'll need them at some point i guess

5 years ago All of my tools fit into one toolbox. That over flowed into two, and then one massive one in an attempt to combine them. That attempt failed shortly after and I had 3 toolboxes full of tools. A few years later I had more than I could fit in my van. Now I have an 800+ square foot shop and I am starting to reach space limitations. Eventually I hope to build my own shop with plenty of room to spare for even more/larger equipment.

At least the endless spiral found in woodworking is much more constructive than other things you could waste money on.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 10-13-2009 at 5:14 PM.

Is it not great? I started with a skil saw, drill and a few hand tools. Now I have trouble walking around in my 12 x 24 shop with attached 10 x 12 building. Just go with it.

Blog Entries
    Wait till you start buying router bits. I remember back at the beginning; I was struggling over a router bit purchase. I must've stood in front of the case and looked at every bit 20 times. Finally some guy took pity on me and said "you know, it really doesn't matter. Pretty soon you'll have a ton of them." I didn't believe it but I sure do now. Routers are just as bad; I think I've got seven now.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Routers are just as bad; I think I've got seven now.
    I have seven also-and I don't even use a router that often.

What ever you do DO NOT BUY A LATHE

This is a maddness that comes with the hobby or profession.
    BUT the worst (OR BEST) maddness comes when you buy a lathe !!!!!
    Chucks , cutting tools like you don't know, pen kits, turning blanks, chain saws to make the turning blanks and on and on and on ---------------
    OR
    I have this project, Humm. bandsaw for this, tablesaw for that , planner for the other, hand plane to do this, router to do the other, ok I need a chisel set, and a drill press,and on and on and on, OH and a gizmo gadget to setup the tools to make them accurite!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOW how did we do it before power tools ?
    AMAZING HUH ????

There meetings that you can attend to help you through your rough times and it only takes 12 steps.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    9-routers, 4-belt sanders and 3 skil saws.

Oh thanks for that guys. I only have three routers. Whew.

I do have two lathes tho...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    There meetings that you can attend to help you through your rough times and it only takes 12 steps.
    Yeah, the only problem is, you have to make sure you attend the correct meeting.

I went to the local Wood Turning Guild meeting, that just made things worse.

Regards, Rod.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yeah, the only problem is, you have to make sure you attend the correct meeting.

I went to the local Wood Turning Guild meeting, that just made things worse.

Regards, Rod.
    Ahahaha! Good advice there!

I turned to woodworking to get away from similar problems with golf. WW is more expensive, however:
    1) You don't have to pay a fee to work in your shop.
    2) You don't have to play with someone you had rather not.
    3) Hopefully, in the end, you have something to show for it other than a scorecard with triple digit score.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Jeff, since you don't use a router that often you obviously still don't have the right router, you need to go shopping

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    I turned to woodworking to get away from similar problems with golf. WW is more expensive, however:
    1) You don't have to pay a fee to work in your shop.
    2) You don't have to play with someone you had rather not.
    3) Hopefully, in the end, you have something to show for it other than a scorecard with triple digit score.
    but at least woodworking tools don't depreciate like golf clubs.

and I'll second the lathe comment. There is definitely a reason woodturning is referred to as a Vortex.

I am looking at getting rid of my Nova 1624 for a substantially more expensive lathe. why? just because.... (it's part of the fun of this hobby)

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Does anyone has 3 circular saw?
    I somehow have them without knowing why! I need tool therapy, I need to know how to buy a right tool first time