Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Project

Latest Project

Hello Everyone, Just me again posting some photos of our latest model, tips and ideas are very welcome ! Thanks !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    60W Epilog Mini 24
    CorelDRAW X4
    Sony VAIO
    Wacom Intuos4 Tablet

JuLiAnA CoStA

Hey, how about giving US some tips and ideas! :-)
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

They are really cool. Where did you get the giant dog?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    They are really cool. Where did you get the giant dog?
    Taco Bell

Cool Building!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Holy crap, that is the most realistic-looking Chihuahua model I've ever seen... not quite to scale, but I'm willing to forgive
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Wow!

How 'bout some details! What material did you use, how long did it take, what did you use to do the design with, was this for pleasure or for a client, were you hansomly compensated, more , more and more...please...

Great job!

Thank you!

Dave
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Answering

Bill u got it, taco bell had a special on giant chihuahuas the other day and i didnt resist :-)

And Dan, after u said i notice that it was a little off scale, but since its done and looks real, i guess ill keep that way but promise to change on the Bulldog im building now hehe !

David, we used Wood, Mirrors, Wires, Paint, Tile, just basic stuff, nothing really different, it took about a week, my dad build/sell houses, it was for a client that gave him a piece of paper full of ideas, and it was up to us to convert to a model, we did it and the first words out of his mouth when he saw was " just build it " , since we closed the deal, i truly believe it was worth the effort !
    60W Epilog Mini 24
    CorelDRAW X4
    Sony VAIO
    Wacom Intuos4 Tablet

JuLiAnA CoStA

More tips to us would be good. I haven't tackled a model yet but always thought it would be fun to do.

What kind of wood is the house made of?

Great work Juliana,

Its good to see how your models sealed the deal.

I work in 3d, mostly consumer products on a computer. The computer is great for ironing out early issues but it is when clients see physical models that a real wow factor comes into play.

Sometimes, I think this generation is getting way too locked into the "virtual world" and when they do see real physical models it goes a long way towards them understanding if the final product is good or bad.

We have started to get more physical models early on in the design process to judge reaction to aesthetics and ergonomics. We then engineer the preferred version virtually, then make a functional prototype to test, then commit to production tooling.

So, to cut a long story short, I think there are more opportunities and use for model making if applied correctly in the development stages of products.

Sometimes there are knock on bonuses too. A recent client became aware of my lasers capabilities and next thing, I was making acrylic jigs for them to use when programming their PCB's.

Well done! That is a great application for lasers machines.
    Stuart Orrell
    LS6040 40W, CS3, Lasercut 5.1, SolidWorks,

Cool&clean work !

You must be checking www.freshome.com a lot

I simply admire those residence designs !

-edit-do i see a half naked male body on window/picture 3 !!??
    Last edited by onur cakir; 10-14-2009 at 4:39 AM.
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

Julia , thats great work , my Co does a lot of models , mostly big developments and film set stuff , if you need any help at all don't hesitate to contact me.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

The mirrors glued to the surface are fine for the purpose of demonstrating where the windows go, but somehow look a little unfriendly to me. Like the resident is hiding behind that 2 way mirror stuff the cops use in interrogations.

If you're using a laser to cut the parts anyway, I'd recommend making window openings on the walls, with separate window frames inserted or applied to the reverse. Not much extra work but really improves the finished look. I do architectural models, too.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Hey Everyone

Thank u so much for the comments everyone ! Stuart, what can i say ? u said it all, 100% agreed !

Onur, that website is new for me but WOW, thats exactly my style and what i try to design with, Glass, Lights, Colors, Modern Style, Thanks for Sharing and u can bet my next one will have many ideas from there ! Thanks

Thanks Rodne, will do :-)
    60W Epilog Mini 24
    CorelDRAW X4
    Sony VAIO
    Wacom Intuos4 Tablet

JuLiAnA CoStA

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    The mirrors glued to the surface are fine for the purpose of demonstrating where the windows go, but somehow look a little unfriendly to me. Like the resident is hiding behind that 2 way mirror stuff the cops use in interrogations.

If you're using a laser to cut the parts anyway, I'd recommend making window openings on the walls, with separate window frames inserted or applied to the reverse. Not much extra work but really improves the finished look. I do architectural models, too.

Dave
    I understand what u r saying, as u can see on the previous pics on Chuck post, i had it cut out, with windows and everything, but this one, thats exactly how the final project its going to look, everything mirrored, client request ! :-) supposedly thats kind of modern/contemporary style, i dont know !

Its nice to find someone else here that also do Architectural Models, i would love to see some of your projects too !
    60W Epilog Mini 24
    CorelDRAW X4
    Sony VAIO
    Wacom Intuos4 Tablet

JuLiAnA CoStA

Mid-Century-Modern is one of my weaknesses. The model you built definitely has this influence. Cool.

You may want to add Legos to your arsenal:
    http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/...usier-and.html

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.