Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insulation

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=phil harold;1237909]most paint will act as a vapor retarder which should be the actual term used instead of vapor barrier
    cellulose is better than fiberglass when water vapor enters the wall cavity
    and water vapors always enters the wall cavity

are you saying the painting the interior wall would provide a vapor barrier?

It needs to be oil based paint or primer. Latex won't work for this. But you can use latex paint over oil based primer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    It needs to be oil based paint or primer. Latex won't work for this. But you can use latex paint over oil based primer.

John
    I am going to argue that,
    PAINT AS A VAPOR BARRIER FOR WALLS OF OLDER HOMES of 1978
    (http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp319.pdf)

shows that 2 coats of exterior latex out performed exterior oil and aluiminum paint...

in 1993 Benjamin Moore Paints introduced Moorcraft Latex Vapor Barrier Primer Sealer 260. With a perm rating below 1.0, this product meets the requirements of a vapor retarder with a single coat.
    http://www.oikos.com/esb/29/vrpaint.html

Now if we could only get the building inspectors up to date...

Plastic is pretty useless if you you put holes in and dont seal every stud, top plate, and shoe...

Blog Entries
    Loved those articles Phil. Felt like I was back in graduate school reading research papers.

Phill is right on about everything.

Latex paint can most definitely be used as a vapor retarder. And cellulose can be blown into existing wall cavities.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Excellent...now my biggest problem will be getting that hopper home. I have a truck...its' the loading and unloading that's going to be a problem.( I can't ask my neighbors since I recently got them to help unload a DJ-20 I picked up at an auction this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Excellent...now my biggest problem will be getting that hopper home. I have a truck...its' the loading and unloading that's going to be a problem.( I can't ask my neighbors since I recently got them to help unload a DJ-20 I picked up at an auction this fall.
    leave it in the back of the truck and blow thats how we did it last week

It is a two man operation one to feed the blower and one to handle the hose

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Its' true there wouldn't be a vapor barrier if I use blow in insulation since the shetrock is already up. The sheet rock isn't in bad shape and there are shelves ,etc. already in place. (i've used the shop this way for 4 years) so I hate to rip it out an start over. Budget is also an issue.
    It can't cost more than $75 to redo the drywall . And you can always do it later to spread out the costs...