Thread: pdf file says corrupt when trying to open.

pdf file says corrupt when trying to open.

I have Corel X3 and when I try to open a pdf file it says its corrupt. I can open it in Adobe reader. Could it be that this is a newer file than the Corel version that I have?

If someone could help me get the file to a state that I can use I would appreciate it. Please send me a pm if you can help. It is a customer file so I dont want to attach it here.

Thank you

Jeff
    Jeff
    Laser's Edge Engraving

Epilog 24TT 45watt
    Corel 12, X3, X5

Rather than try to 'opem' the file have you tried the 'import' command and the PDF filter in the dropdown box?

I don't have X3 but thats what I do in V12.
    LaserScript 9060 SE 60W - LaserCut 5.1,
    PhotoImpact X3, CorelDraw 12, PhotoGrav, Adobe CS3

If you want, send it to me at macskinz_at_yahoo_dot_com and I'll convert it to an eps file for you.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I have had this problem when the PDF is created in a recent version of Illustrator. I have to open it in Illustrator then save it as an older version AI or something to take it into Corel. If you want me to take a look then mail me at bryan@identify.co.uk.

I had the same problem occasionally, "corrupt file". I just upgraded to X4 and the error on the same files is that the file is compressed - still won't open but at least now I know why! There is a setting in Illustrator to compress the file and when set, Corel can't open it - pdf, ai, eps, it won't work with any of them. The only solution is to open it in Illustrator and not compress it.

Gary

FYI everyone, I was emailed the file and it came over as 0k. I noticed the file name had a comma in it. It may not be the cause but when customers email files, they should only use alphanumeric plus underscores in the file name. No spaces or other funky characters. Otherwise it can affect the mime type and may not be what you expect on the receiving end. In fact, it is best to only use common file extensions (ie. .pdf, .zip, .jpg, .gif). If the file is an uncommon type, put it in a zip file for sending.

You said the file opens without any problems? In what software? I renamed the file so there was no comma and it still will not open or import with the pdf filter selected.
    Jeff
    Laser's Edge Engraving

Epilog 24TT 45watt
    Corel 12, X3, X5

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    it came over as 0k.
    First time I get to quote myself...

This should read "it came over as zero kilobytes." In other words, the file is empty.

Cheers
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 10-13-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Jeff, one thing I have often done to import pdf's into CorelDraw (mostly for a newsletter, not so much for lasering) is to make a Postscript file from the pdf, and then import the Postscript file instead. You could try that.

You might need to set up a Postscript (virtual) printer. It should not be difficult. I use an HP printer that is PS/PCL 6, so often use the HP postscript printer driver included with the HP, but I think you can get a generic postscript driver from Adobe. You should then be able to print a Postscript file from Adobe Reader.

The driver looks like a printer to your system, but is intended only for printing to a file. (On my HP driver I need to physically check "print to file" or else it prints to the printer.) Whichever way you do it, see if you can create a Postscript file (preferably .ps extension). Then import into CorelDraw using the PS, PRN, EPS - Postscript Interpreted filter.

I just tried this process to refresh my memory - the original image I tried (an advertisment) gave me the "file is corrupted" error when I tried a direct import into CorelDraw, but it imported fine via Postscript.

It's possible it has to do with incompatible software and file versions and outdated filters etc. I don't know the reason but the Postscript method often works for me.

Well, 0k - I mean - okay . . . my method won't help much if the file is actually empty. But Jeff says he is seeing something in Reader. So as long as he can see it in Reader then he has a valid file on hand. In that case, the Postscript conversion method might work.

I often get PDFs that state they're 'corrupt' when I try to open or import them into Corel X3... but as long as they'll popen in Acrobat reader (even the newest version, or any version) the solution is simple, even if you do not have the latest version of Illustrator!

Download a free PDF printer (eg DOpdf), and then open the file in acrobat reader and print it to the pdf printer - it'll ask for new filename, so pick one & save it.
    THAT will then be openable in Corel. The only hitch is it'll resize it to your standard paper size, but it can be easily expanded again.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Grant View Post
    I used to have exactly the same problem.
    Prior to paying money, it's worth checking out freewares. Personally, I used this free data recovery software https://www.cleverfiles.com/free-data-recovery.html, when I lost some important file. I ran this Disk Drill and got the files out without spending a penny.
    99% of the time it's due to either the version of Illustrator it was saved as or the version of Corel you are trying to open it with. The solution is to have it saved as a version 8 illustrator file without compression and open it in Corel X8 or 2017. No need for data recovery, conversion, printing to another pdf, etc., etc. - all band-aids and not really a solution. Teach your customers to provide you with the right type of file and you'll save hours of bs'ing around.

Also - this post is 9 years old, pretty sure it was resolved...