Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cord or Cordless Drill - Which do you prefer?

Cord or Cordless Drill - Which do you prefer?

Last night my wife asked me why I don't use my favorite corded Makita drill very much that she gave to me for X-mas many years ago. That got me to thinking. I replied and said I do use it (and other corded ones) often but now I use my cordless ones more. I see I use my cordless ones for mostly assembly as a driver with a clutch and for light & occasional drilling. I still use my corded models if I have a lot of drilling to do or if it is fairly heavy work.

Have others found this too - cordless for the lighter daily stuff but still use the corded models when muscle and/or duration is needed? I have a cordless hammer-drill too, but it can't even come close to my corded model even at 24 volts.

Cord vs. Cordless? What application for you?
    Kev

Pretty much same as you describe, Kev.

The 4 cordless drills (1 18v right angle, 1 18v hammer, and 2 "regular" 1 18v, 1 12v) are the drilling/driving workhorses as far as frequency of use, but when muscle or duration is needed and the drill press isn't appropriate, my DeWalt 1/2" corded comes off the shelf.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Being a sub-contractor and doing lots of odd jobs, Cordless is my mainstay. In my home shop I find myself using the cordless for assembly, I have 2 so that I don't have to fool around with changing bits for pilot holes. I also agree about the hammer drill... My Dewalt XRP Hammer drill will work in a pinch, but it doesn't hold a candle to the corded Bosch.

Blog Entries
    I use corded when I need raw power or higher speeds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hello,
    Cord or Cordless Drill - Which do you prefer?
    Yes - is my answer .
    I have a few of each, plus a few cordless screwdrivers.

I'd honestly be lost without all of them.

For driving? Cordless, 99.9999% of the time. I have a 12v impact driver that I use for nearly all of my driving. I didn't think I would, but I've been won over by it. It's a great model that I can feather the trigger nicely to get super control - as much or more than a standard cordless drill. It's the 12v Panasonic - not the Li one, though. I've used other impact drivers and they're jerky and sensitive. Much harder to feather. I love my panasonic, tho

For Drilling? When hand-held I go corded 75% of the time because those times are nearly always pocket hole drilling. But most of my drilling is done on the drill press when possible. Unless they're in assemblies that don't fit well on the table (i try to avoid that). I would say I only rarely use my cordless drill for actual drilling.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I don't even own a drill with a cord.

At work I mostly use cordless for fasteners and drilling. I had a PC 19.2, but the poor thing up and died. Awaiting delivery of my new DW 18V as we speak. Itching to try out the hammer function. I have one concrete wall that acts as the spine for our main shop, and it seems that something always needs to be hung up near the top. Ground worrk gets the big rotary hammer(DW, corded). I also use a 12V impact driver, amazing little beast!
    At home I use an old PC9.6 volt drill driverfor light duty stuff, for the heavy stuff I have an ancient Skil D-handle...good for mixing paint and mud too.
    At the bench I have an old c'man corded 1/2" that just refuses to die.
    mickey

I had to drill several hundred holes in my house (cement block) to install hurricane shutters, I started out using my cordless hammer drill but soon switched to a corded one. Cordless drills don't have the power for heavy drilling. I just bought a new Bosch hammer drill yesterday as my Porter Cable drill bit the dust trying to drill 4" deep holes in my pool deck for a safety fence.

I have a 14.4 and 9.6 cordless and a Milwaukee hole shot corded. I bought the Milwaukee to drill pocket holes. The cordless ones didn't hold up to all the drilling and as it turns out they run too slow. Just yesterday I was drilling 562 shelf pin holes and as always the the veneer would tear out here and there. I got to thinking would the corded one work better. Man did it! The extra speed cut those hole nice and clean. We need both!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I use corded when I need raw power or higher speeds.
    Same here!

And, this is where I do a 180* from my general philosophy of "get the best one can afford." I really do not use a drill much, and I have an inexpensive "disposable" Firestorm corded drill, and an inexpensive "disposable" cordless that is my "shop" drill that I use for driving screws and general shop work. Like others, I try to drill on the drillpress if possible.

Seems the technology of cordless drills changes rapidly, and I have found that the cheapies last me 5-8 years, and I just toss them and buy another for $30!

Probably not a good plan, but one that works for me.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I mostly use my cordless driver/drill. I use the corded when I need more muscle and the drill press for accuracy but timewise, the cordless gets used 90% of the time.
    The cordless gets used mostly for driving screws.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Similar to most of the respondees, I use both. Glenn Bradley said it best though.

The only thing that I would add is that the 28V Milwaukee is the strongest cordless drill that I have. It is superior to a 3/8" corded drill and comes closest to replacing a 1/2" corded drill (but it's still not a replacement).

My Festool C12 is my favorite drill for the woodshop.

I use a corded drill exclusively, but that's because I'm a penniless grad student. You can get a nice, name-brand corded drill for a lot less than a cordless model. Plus, as others have mentioned, a corded drill will have the guts to handle heavier work (pocket screw holes, masonry, etc.) all day long. I don't really notice the cord anymore, and that Bosch fits my hand very nicely.

That said, a cordless would be handy for lots of home improvement type jobs when I'm up on a ladder.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

For light drilling/assembly work, I tend to use the Bosch 10.8 volt drill and impact driver (ps20 and ps40).
    Outside, around the house and more construction work (building porch, deck,ladder work, etc) I tend to use my 15.6v Panasonic, and my 12V Ryobi Impact driver (Nimh and Li respectively).
    For concrete work, metal work, stripped screws (corded goes slower), etc. Corded all the way. I even bought a corded, Ryobi with the clutch, drill, for my pocket screw station.