Thread: Protecting power tools from rust

Protecting power tools from rust

This is my first post to the group and I look forward to interacting on here from now on!

I have recently been acquiring good quality used powertools to expand my beginner-woodworker's shop. The table saw and planer I bought both had built up a light surface rust on their tables from lack of use. The guy I bought the saw from cleaned the majority of rust off with vinegar and WD-40. I would like to finish cleaning and protect these tools with something that won't come off on the projects.
    I talked with the guy at my local WoodCraft, where I was about to buy some T9. He suggested carnuba wax instead. Anyone have experience with this or opinions on the best way to prevent rust. I'm set up in an unconditioned two car garage, so need all the help I can get!
    Thanks in advance!
    Philip

A coat of furniture paste wax on my machined surfaces is all I've ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Allen View Post
    I talked with the guy at my local WoodCraft, where I was about to buy some T9. He suggested carnuba wax instead.
    Philip
    Too funny! I went to WC to buy wax and they suggested T9 instead. So, I use T9. It works, but my tools are in the basement with dehumidifier running 24x7. Relative humidity is probably between 40% and 50%.

Being in the garage may be more of a challenge for you. If you fill in your location in your profile, that will allow someone with familiarity with your region help.

Best of luck,

Mike

Johnsons Paste Wax is what many of us use, including myself. It works well. Re-apply every few months and you will never have any problems with rust.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 10-10-2009 at 5:33 PM.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Wax will help, though it is not as effective as a hydrophobic oil in high humidity situations. However, one thing to think about is that while you can effectively prevent rust on the table of a table saw and planer, it's not so easy to prevent corrosion of the trunnions, pillow blocks, power shafts, internals of the electric motor, and interior parts of the switches.

Your best bet in the long run is to consider installing an inexpensive window air conditioner with a heating option and a de-humidifier in your garage. Depending on where you live, you may not require the heat option on the window air conditioner.

Rust

Regular use of tools will also help.(If only I had more time)Wax in between use's will buy some time.Carroll