Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong???

What am I doing wrong???

I first got my lathe (mini Rikon) for the sake of turning pens. I have had a lot of fun doing so. Have given many out as gifts and have sold a few to people who have asked. I also did a couple of bowls and found that they too are fun. I gave my wife the last one I made out of cocobolo (filled it with M&Ms) She liked it enough to ask me to make two more as Christmas gifts for our daughter's in-laws and our son's in-laws to be. My problem is that I always get catches which does a lot of damage. What am I doing wrong? I am a lefty so I do do some of my work from the backside of the lathe. I have tried angling my tool up, down, straight and anything else I can think of. I have a bowl gauge but it is worse than the spindle gouge I end up using. I have a bowl sitting on the lathe now. I stopped because I was getting a bit too angry to continue out there. So I stopped and vacuumed all the shavings and dust that have been accumulating. The good part is that I now have a clean shop. I should probably take a course somewhere like the local Woodcraft or something like it but $$$ is at premium right now. Help!!! By the way Steve, beautiful mapel bowls!!!

I would recommend finding a local turner who would be willing to check your technique. I'll bet with just a little tweaking you will be churning out bowls no problem. If you are looking for other means of instruction, Bill Grumbine's videos are a huge help. Good luck and don't let the catches get you down. If I did, there wouldn't be anything coming out of my shop but swears.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

you cant ever use a spindle gouge on the inside of a bowl. from what it sounds like, your toolrest is either to high or to low. the cutting edge of the tool should always be above the center by a bit, between 0 and 3/16''.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Thanks for the input. I will try to both adjust the height of my tool and see if I can find a bowl turner in the area.

I agree with the tool rest height. Also it could also be just the way you present the bowl gouge to the wood. I would not use a spindle gouge on a bowl as if you do get a catch it could snap the tang and that isn't a good thing to do.

One DVD I would recommend is Bill Grumbines Turned Bowls Made Easy. He shows you a lot of cuts and how to do them. Excellent DVD.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Also make sure your tools are SHARP.

I didnt do any bowls, but I noticed when I first started that as I made more pens I could tell when the tools were getting dull, Once I sharpened them the cuts were easier and less and less catches..

You mentioned that the bowl gouge is worse than the spindle gouge. After you get some pointers from the videos or hands on, take your good blank off the lathe and chuck up a 2x4 or firewood (the neighbors fence post)....something you won't worry about. Turn it smooth and then practice with the gouge. Work on the tool presentation. Practice each cut like it will be the final cut. See what happens when you change the angle of the tool just a little.

Hang in there! You will never completely eliminate the catches but you can minimize them.

Tim,

Check out http://www.woodturner.org/community/...alChapters.asp for local clubs affiliated with the AAW. Lots of good resources at the clubs I've encountered.

Don't let the catches discourage you too much.

Tony

Tim,

First off....we have all been there and done that. It's part of learning the craft/art so don't be too hard on yourself and don't get discouraged.

2nd. You have got some good advice here so far

Tool presentation....very important.......tool rest height....very important for tool presentation.

Tool sharpness....Extremely important....a sharp tool will cut fiber where a dull one might catch it....

I live in a remote area and I learned by watching Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy". Great learning tool.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone explain yet....the #1 mantra for a turner.....ride the bevel......ride the bevel..... that works with almost all tools unless you are doing some very specialized cuts.....

Good luck and don't give up!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome! Hang in there, keep trying. I get catches all the time. Some are pretty spectacular.

Did anyone mention Bill Grumbine's DVD yet? It's a good DVD. Buy/rent/borrow both of them. You can also try You Tube, there are a lot of videos, some junk, some are pretty good. Sorby site has a few.

Those heart-stopping spectacular catches?

They're usually caused by letting the wing of the bowl gouge get into the side of the bowl. Keep the gouge well heeled over and the flute pointed toward the center of the bowl until you get more practice. The moment you let the thing get too far over....

BANG!

The deal is, as with any catch, the cutting edge must be supported by the tool rest. The moment you let the pressure of the cut be unsupported, then you have a catch.

I like to think of the tool as a teeter totter. If the force on each side of the fulcrum is the same, then you have control. Once the pressure on one side is greater, then that side is going down. The only difference is that you're moving the teeter totter (the tool) around to balance the forces on the fulcrum (tool rest). Maybe that visual will help...

A lot of good stuff. I'll have to re read and then try them out on Monday when I get back from Pennsylvania. Again thanks for the info and the encouragement. I am very excited.

one other comment. As well as making sure that you ride the bevel, look into putting the IRISH/ Elsworth grind on your bowl gouge. It will make the process MUCH better. Also, as you get to the corner where the side and bottom meet, utilize a round nose scrapper to blend them together.

Hope it helps,

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Tim - lots of good suggestions! One additional bit of advice - when you decide to start your cut - be firm. You don't have to apply a lot of pressure when using a sharp tool but you need to start the cut and then keep the pressure the same throughout the cut. If you back off the forward momentum a little bit - it is easy to get a catch if you are not paying attention when you start moving forward again.

Hope you can get with a local turner that can show you some basic techniques. It will save you a lot of time if you don't have to figure it out for yourself!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

One other comment on the tool rest. Keep the rest as close a possible to the work. As mentioned before its like a teeter totter and your bowl gouge is much easier to control when the rest is close to the work. I believe Bill Grumbine talks about this in his DVD. Keep at it, it gets better.