Thread: free sync and backup a very nice little tool.

free sync and backup a very nice little tool.

syncing between my home computer and work has been a bit of a pain. MS has had several services but they seemed to keep getting worse. sometimes files would not get synced and I would end up working with a older file version. then getting a mac at home caused more problems. I found a free (up to 2 gigs free) service called dropbox. this service backs up but also syncs files between as many computers as you want. but also it lets you add files to a public folder you can share or give a link to a file or files. this is great to send pics or videos or files to a customer. you just right click on the file and you get a link you can email. my only small complaint is you have to put he files/directories in the dropbox folder.
    it also works with iphone you can put your pics in it and they are synced with all the computers.
    I ended up paying 4.99 a month as I used more then 2 gigs. one thing I am debating on is for another 3.99 a month instead of keeping changed and deleted versions files for a few week they keep them forever. this may be a great simple backup plan. if you use this link we both get more free space.
    https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE5Mzk3NTM5
    here is another great little free utility. this lets you change the save as links. so you can add your shopbot computer drive in the list and save files to it with little effort. it lets you add any dir to it and remove the useless ones. it even works in windows 7.
    this file will split pdfs. so when I get a pdf with several pages I can't input them this lets me import a page at a time.
    http://www.arduosoft.com/page/ArduoF...rger-tool.aspx
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Dropbox is very cool! I've been using the free(2gig) for about a year. I sync between work and home. Lets me update work files that I may not have time to get to on my reduced work schedule, and recover files that get dropped by accident. You can also "earn" extra storage by setting up multiple accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Dropbox is very cool! I've been using the free(2gig) for about a year. I sync between work and home. Lets me update work files that I may not have time to get to on my reduced work schedule, and recover files that get dropped by accident. You can also "earn" extra storage by setting up multiple accounts.
    I had been using the msn versions but I gave up the first betas were good and accurate but they got to the point where some files would not get synced for no real reason. this caused me to cut the wrong version of my file.
    my only complaint with dropbox is you ahve to put the fiels into the dropbox. where the ms version you just chose the dirs. but then if you wanted your documents to sync with the ms version all the sub directories were synced even if you did not want that.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing