Thread: Broken Tube on HX3040?

Unhappy Broken Tube on HX3040?

Hello,

a few days ago, while operating my hx3040 on relatively high power (95%), I suddenly heard a banging noise and the laser-beam stopped working. Everything else seems alright, it's just the beam that is not operating anymore. I checked the laser tube and did not find any visual damage - but when I try to shoot a test-beam, i hear a quiet cracking noise from the right side of the tube where it is connected to the wire. The sales-rep from Rabbit suggested that the problem lies in the connection and that it may be broken - so I checked the wire and even resolderd it, but the problem is still the same.
    I won't get any other help from Rabbit till monday - however, I don't want to sit around till then, so if anyone has an idea of what might be wrong - if I just need a new tube or something else - your help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Stefan

Blog Entries
    The crackling is probably arcing... if so, the tube is toast.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Check to see if the tube has water in both chambers, if it does then the tube is definitely bad.
    The crackling sound is arcing. This could be just a bad solder connection. What size soldering iron did you use? You need a very large one to solder the small wire to that steel post. A small iron will not generate the heat necessary to do the job properly.
    I have an extra tube if you find you need to replace the one you have.
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Stuckmann View Post
    I suddenly heard a banging noise and the laser-beam stopped working.
    Try and find what might have caused the banging. The line to the laser may be arcing through the insulation to a metal part of the cabinet.

Can you see any sparks when it is making the cracking noise? Turn off all the lights and check.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.