Thread: M2 hacksaw blade

M2 hacksaw blade

I have acquired an Eclipse All Hard high speed steel (M2) blade measuring 22inches by 2 inches and 0.100 inches thick( 550mm by 50mm and 2.5cm thick)
    ECL.AE622C 550x50x2.50 22x2x0.100

Can anyone suggest a use for this blade and would it be suitable to make a a plane blade and how would I accomplish such a task

regards Brian

Blades of that type are designed for use in power hacksaws and are for metal cutting. It's tooth pitch and design would be inefficient for wood cutting. When I used to be in the metal working trade we used a power hacksaw for most of our tool steel cutting for die parts and jig construction. A few guys would take our worn out blades and use them to make knives. I am not saying they were the best steel choice but they worked nicely just the same. I don't see a woodworking function unless you make scrapers or something like that from it.
    http://www.newmantools.com/eclipse/eclhack.htm

Ronald
    Thank you for your for posting a reply and your suggestion of using the blade to make a scraper. The only other use I can think of is using the blade to make a garden tool

Further I live in the United Kingdom and paid £3.00 ($.4.80)for the blade I believe they retail at about $100

regards Brian