Thread: HELP - My High Tech Toys Are Failing Me (PRL-V2/Wixey DRO)

HELP - My High Tech Toys Are Failing Me (PRL-V2/Wixey DRO)

PRL-V2:
    This weekend while using my rail/stile bits I found (after ruining some wood) that the bit was creeping downward. I then watched the thumb wheel and could see it moving. I use to have a Woodpecker's Quick Lift and this was never a problem with this same bit set. I know there is an adjustable brake on the V2 but before I bought the lift I was told that you set it so the wheel still turns freely and leave it. When I called today the woman on the phone told me the brake needs to be set tight. I told her that the reason I bought the V2 was to have a tool-less fine adjustment as advertised - couldn't get her to understand this.

Any other PRL-V2 users have this problem?

Wixey Router Digital Readout:
    Now to make things worse, while routing the DRO starts to give me random numbers. I can re-zero it but while I make a cut it jumps and gives weird numbers on the display.

Again and others have this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Blog Entries
    I would try Woodpecker again. I emailed back and forth with Justin (justink@woodpeck.com) who was intimately knowledgeable on the PRL. Despite my many questions, he was patient and thorough and I bought a PRL V1.

I would email Barry on the DRO but, I had a similar experience and it turned out to be the batteries I was using. Once I got a Duracell that hadn't been sitting on Walgreen's shelf for 'who knows how long', the problem disappeared.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I would try Woodpecker again. I emailed back and forth with Justin (justink@woodpeck.com) who was intimately knowledgeable on the PRL. Despite my many questions, he was patient and thorough and I bought a PRL V1.

I would email Barry on the DRO but, I had a similar experience and it turned out to be the batteries I was using. Once I got a Duracell that hadn't been sitting on Walgreen's shelf for 'who knows how long', the problem disappeared.
    Thanks for the reply. I did e-mail Justin and he responded almost instantly and I also called Incra tech service since they sell the Woodpecker's clone. Justin said the brake is needed sometimes and it's a good habit to set it. Incra rep said it's a good idea to set the brake all the time. He thought there should be a design change to incorporate a spring loaded friction brake so that the fine adjustment would be truly "tool-free" as advertised. I'm somewhat disappointed but still like the accuracy of the lift.

Wixey already sent me a response too, but, I might try your suggestion about replacing the batteries first. I really like the Wixey gauges but the batteries they ship with them seem pretty useless.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    it's a good idea to set the brake all the time.
    This is one of the things that kept me with the original PRL. We all have different things that influence our decisions. Some folks like the quick lift more than they are bothered by setting the brake. I wanted to do the more frequent activities from above the table. I use a small lithium screwgun to speed up the raise and lower function on the PRL and don't have to fool with the brake. Pick your trade off ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I really like the Wixey gauges but the batteries they ship with them seem pretty useless.
    I don't know that I have ever gotten a battery included from any maker that was worth it's weight. The exception might be a HF caliper that included two extra batteries; the total of three batteries kept the caliper going for about a month. Bought a decent battery and it has lasted over a year so far.

The units that retain calibration like the planer DRO and the fence (and I think your lift DRO) do not last as long as they are "always on" so to speak. I still get between 9 months and a year out of those units so they are quite cheap to operate vs. their benefit to me.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-05-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mike,
    I had the same problem with the Wixey Router Digital Readout and PRL II lift. I just gave up on the DRO as I couldn't fix it and I couldn't rely on it. I considered it a lesson learned and continue to adjust bit height the old fashion way.

Roger

My fix for the Wixey planer DRO battery problem

I had problems with a planer DRO too. I wondered whether the battery holder might be too flimsy to assure firm contact with the battery. The battery is 3 volts, so are 2 AA cells in series. I soldered a couple leads to the battery terminals in the DRO. Connected the leads to a 2 cell AA battery holder from Radio Shack. I made sure the leads were long enough that the DRO could move throughout its limits. I did have to devise a way to cover the now empty battery compartment because the leads precluded using the little door. Duct tape. Obviously an external battery holder wouldn't work for a digital caliper or tilt box but for stationary applications it seems okay.

Both suppliers are currently working with me and helping solve the issues.

Mike

So what was the outcome? I am having the exact same issues with the same lift and Wixey.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    So what was the outcome? I am having the exact same issues with the same lift and Wixey.
    Actually both suppliers sent me new products. I think it's the Wixey with large diameter bits (it only happened with Freud exterior door set, 3-1/2" dia. panel raiser and large dia. brick moulding bits). Even though they are balanced they still exhibit more vibration than smaller bits. Plus the new PRL-V2 still moved due to bit vibration so I have just gotten into the habit of locking the fine adjustment screw all the time.

Mike

I figured as much for the lift... I reckon I'll just do the same and figure out a handy place to keep the allen wrench.

The Wixey however...... I just got an email from Barry Wixey. A small percentage (lucky me, I'm one of that percentage) of users are having the same problem. It is a grounding issue. I either need to ground the gauge, the router or isolate the gauge with plastic washers. Sure wish I would have known that before I mounted the damn thing. It's a bitch to get to.