Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Hand made"

"Hand made"

We do laser cut jewelry and some people think "hand made" is better some how than what we do (although we spend at least 20x longer on the hand finishing part than the laser part). This picture is of 'hand made' earrings from Thailand. Funny how they have those black edges and scorch marks. Must have been somebody with hot hands making them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

You must have not got the message !

There is a new laser line by the Korean manufacturer "Hand". It was lasered and it is Hand Made.

Yeah that is laser work if I ever saw it.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

• That's an example that shows a total lack of being hand made. They were too lazy to even clean up their work before posting a picture,
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    There is a new laser line by the Korean manufacturer "Hand". It was lasered and it is Hand Made.
    Doh!! Of course! Gotta get one of those for myself!
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Blog Entries
    During my last trip to the Bahamas about a year ago, there was a gentleman on the streets using a fine coping saw to cut out designs... very intricate designs... out of pewter spoons, silver dollars, etc. I estimate it took him several hours to cut out the larger designs, and he was selling his stuff for $30-$50. Tough to compete with that kind of pricing, and he did requests.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

John the design in that one is nice, but the quality is not a patch on the stuff that you are doing, your stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of that stuff!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    We do laser cut jewelry and some people think "hand made" is better some how than what we do (although we spend at least 20x longer on the hand finishing part than the laser part).
    Doesn't matter how much hand work you put in, you're gonna get some attitude from somebody who thinks you're "cheating" because you use a computer.
    (Typically someone in the scrollsaw community who copies all of his designs from books, but there ya go.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

So straighten me out here: is a scroll saw considered cheating on a coping saw? Do they think that shopbot 3D is cheating on electric gouges which are cheating on gouge and hammer which is cheating on a pocket knife?

Is an ROSander cheating on a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood which is cheating on scraping with a piece of glass?

Why are some electrical devices okay and others not? Using a router with a purchased template is okay, but using a computer is bad? How do they think they make those templates?

At what point does one technology become NOT cheating? Must someone invent a molecular reorganizer to make the laser acceptable? Sheesh.

My opinion (OWIAETH) is that a tool is only as good as the person using it and it's just as likely to make a mess as a masterpiece. Cheating to me is when you get someone else to do your work or you copy their work exactly without any thought of your own.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

"Hand Made" stuff is evil, its all made by prison laborers and children in sweatshops! Lots of material is lost to waste! Laser goods are humane and eco friendly!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Cheating to me is when you get someone else to do your work or you copy their work exactly without any thought of your own.
    I had a scrollsaw guy practically frothing at the mouth when I said something to that effect...
    and then asked him where he got his designs (mostly Disney characters ).
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    "Hand Made" stuff is evil, its all made by prison laborers and children in sweatshops! Lots of material is lost to waste! Laser goods are humane and eco friendly!
    Orphaned photons, enslaved to do my bidding, forced to march in lockstep, with no pay or benefits...
    as Mr. Burns would say, "Excellent!" (insert evil laugh sound-effect here)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Is an ROSander cheating on a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood which is cheating on scraping with a piece of glass?
    Yes to all but since glass is almost always machine made, it is cheating on scraping with your teeth and fingernails.

With all due respect to the scrollsaw folks, I don't think you CAN do this kind of work without a tool like the laser. This earring is only about 30mm/1" high. People seem to think they are pretty, and at least in coconut shell, I don't know how you could do it "by hand."
    Attached Images Attached Images

With all due respect to the scrollsaw folks, I don't think you CAN do this kind of work without a tool like the laser. This earring is only about 30mm/1" high. People seem to think they are pretty, and at least in coconut shell, I don't know how you could do it "by hand."
    I am pretty sure someone could do that with a dremel "by hand".

But you are right. Consumers and some producers seem to think that "made by hand" is somehow "the best". On the consumer side they have no clue how something was really done unless they stood over the person doing it. On the producer side it's often either people who can't afford to get the right machines or people who use tools and jigs to do the same thing we do with a better and faster tool and call it "made by hand".

This debate rages all the time on the billiards forum over pool cues and inlays done using a CNC vs. ones made with a pantograph. You know those pantographs that use templates made by CNC routers????? :-)

On the leather worker forum it comes up all the time as well.

Frankly, I just market my products based on their quality with no explanation of how they were made unless it adds to the description for some important reason. For example one case we make is only technically possible IF the last line is sewn by hand. For this reason no competitor will even try it and they use far easier methods to finish their cases.

But my competitors will use the "hand made" description all the time even though they use sewing machines, rivet setters, laser engraving, and factory produced tubes. I can't stand it. But it's life and I realized last night after a conversation with a customer that my customers aren't really paying for how it's made - they are paying for the experience and don't really care HOW the product gets done as long as it's done how they want it done and is well made. But they will even settle for less than well made if the experience is good enough.

We do laser cut jewelry and some people think "hand made" is better some how than what we do (although we spend at least 20x longer on the hand finishing part than the laser part). This picture is of 'hand made' earrings from Thailand. Funny how they have those black edges and scorch marks. Must have been somebody with hot hands making them.
    You want a better one? This is how one of our competitors describes their cues with laser engraved designs;

"Each XXXX cue features leather wraps, steel joints and butt caps and unique designs branded into the butt of the cue with a unique blow torch branding technique."

Right......... someone with a blow torch is precisely burning these patterns at depth into wood and they are so good that each one comes out the exact same each time.

For the record - I have watched these cues being made. They are done on Universal 660 lasers with dual rotaries.