Thread: High school students HF.

High school students HF.

Here is a picture of the boxelder form I helped one of my High School students save from a large very rotten boxelder burl he brought in. It was like turning cardboard. We had to soak it 3 or 4 times with deft to ever get a finial cut. I had to help him a lot with the hollowing. With out the ad of a captive hollowing system it was a little deep for him. It is 11" tall by around 8 1/2" in dia. It has more coats of deft on it than he can remember he say's. It is where I got the form from for my last bowl I posted.
    Jack

Don't care how long it took, that is a really nice piece. Your student should be proud to have made such an outstanding HF. I wish I could do something that nice.

Don't care how long it took, that is one fine looking piece. You should be proud of and the student should be proud of that piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jack,
    Well done to both Teacher and Student. You should both be proud for of yourselves for different reasons. Great form and finish and Burled Box Elder never disappoints with great color and figure.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

wow thats a great job, love the pink.

Jack - congrats to the both of you for a job well done! Very pleasing form and exceptional wood! It was worth the time and effort! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks everyone. If it had been my blank, I'm not sure that I would have finished it. The tree the burl came from had rotted to the ground and this large burl was all that was left of the tree. When we turned it down some of the pink color came out and my student would not give up on it. His Grandfather had told him that it was boxelder, but I wasn't sure until the pink showed itself to us. The burl was dry when we turned it and due to rot was without doubt the softest wood I've ever turned.
    Thanks Again,
    Jack

A testament to the perseverance of the young! Glad he didn't give up on it and that you helped him through it. I'm sure that for the rest of his life when he sees it he will remember you and the contributions you made in his life. I know that's how I feel regarding my shop teacher! Good on both of you!

John

That is a great piece! I bet your student will always remember how you kept going with him on this HF. The road through life is not always easy, but it sure helps when someone takes the time to guide us along the way.