Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machine Choices

Machine Choices

In another post I listed a machine that I am trying to get off eBay; and if that comes through that will be my first choice.
    Now that I am in the shopping mode I came up with this from Frank Fang from Rabbit http://www.hxlaser.com/products/laser4.htm Frank has offered a total package delivered through customs, at a very tempting offer.
    But… I found this; http://iehk.net/Products/IE1200.html and it appears to have some features that the rabbit line is missing. Namely:
    3) Resolution User controlled from 75 to 1200 dpi
    4) Speed and Power Controls: High Speed DSP control. Computer or manually controlled speed and power in 1% increments to 100%. Vector color mapping links speed and power settings to any RGB color.
    And lastly, I found this; http://iehk.net/Products/IE2400.html
    Now my thinking on this last one goes like this. I have always wanted to carve images on doors; to this end I purchased a cnc router last year. I have yet to build a door, as I haven’t got the space or time right now, so I have not yet carved a door. The laser I have right now is the money maker of my operation. The cnc machine has been a money hole, bits are not cheap and one pin nail or staple can be costly. Everyone likes the 3d look but few want to pay for it. If I get a full size bed like this one I could just engrave stock doors; at this point I think this is a compromise I can live with. So I may just sell the cnc router and get this. I do not have the room for both full size tables.
    I know some of you are not quite fans of Chinese machines and I respect your valid arguments for your position. But I am quite comfortable with the challenge and risks associated with one of these machines.
    I am looking for opinions on whether the larger machine will be able to do everything a smaller one can. Will I still be able to do a 12 x 12 tile on the larger machine and get the same detail I would on the smaller machine?
    Do you think that the speed is comparable between the two machines?
    Do you think a front door with a full size image of your choice, is a marketable product?
    Am I half baked?
    Right now China is celebrating new years for the next week or so, I have that long to decide, but within the next week; I will purchase something.
    You’re input into my decision process is very much wanted; as I have come to respect the maturity and wisdom that this diverse group has to offer.
    Thanks Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

If you can afford it , I might take a chance on one of the chinese machines..considering one myself...
    However I do think carved or laser engraved doors is not something I would rely on to make money.
    $7k for that big bugger looks quite good - looks like a nice machine to cut production volumes of pex etc. I would look at it as a pure cutter and if it engraves ok , treat it as a bonus.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    James, what CNC did you get?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

James

That's a very interesting machine. I would have two concerns; one it appears to have very limited depth adjustment, perhaps as little as 2 or 3 inches; and two, it has only one 4" exhaust opening. For a machine of that size it seems inadequate to me.

When they say it's for cutting fabric and leather that reinforces the thought that it's depth adjustment is limited.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

That big one looks interesting. Some things I noticed about the specs though:

The head focusses up & down 40mm. That's not a lot and you will NEED the adjustable table (brings depth up to 16 inches, which is OK).

Control is via a PC card, which means you'll have to run it from a desktop computer- laptop isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    James, what CNC did you get?
    I have a 4x8 Camaster, with the PC router. It is a good machine, and it is fun to run.I enjoy creating stuff in aspire, and watching it come to life on the router. But It just is not generating the cash flow the laser is.
    But in its defense it took me a two years to get to the point where the laser is starting to become a stead income generator. I could not support myself with it yet, but things are finally coming together. I make plaques with the router and they sell OK, In the craft fair that I do on weekends I compete with two retired school teachers with an shopbot, they sell plaques for as little as $9 for a 10 x 36". After wood,stain and sealers they cant be making much more than a couple of dollars on a plaque. I just will not work for free to get that business.
    LaserCut 5.3

Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    James

That's a very interesting machine. I would have two concerns; one it appears to have very limited depth adjustment, perhaps as little as 2 or 3 inches; and two, it has only one 4" exhaust opening. For a machine of that size it seems inadequate to me.

When they say it's for cutting fabric and leather that reinforces the thought that it's depth adjustment is limited.
    The exhaust did concern me as well. The first thought I had was how much volume could possibly flow through a 4" flex pipe.
    I have not had much need for more table height. It will need to raster engrave to suit my needs.
    LaserCut 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    If you can afford it , I might take a chance on one of the chinese machines..considering one myself...
    However I do think carved or laser engraved doors is not something I would rely on to make money.
    $7k for that big bugger looks quite good - looks like a nice machine to cut production volumes of pex etc. I would look at it as a pure cutter and if it engraves ok , treat it as a bonus.
    As always Rodney I appreciate your advice and prospective. I do not have a current market that will support a machine dedicated to cutting only. I really need a machine that can raster.
    I will make this inquiry to the manufacture as well. but as you all know communication with the Chinese is difficult.
    Thanks for the advice.
    jim j.
    LaserCut 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    Do you think a front door with a full size image of your choice, is a marketable product?
    Am I half baked?

Right now China is celebrating new years for the next week or so,
    Jim, my brother lives in a high-end place in Florida and paid $3000 for his front door, carved wood - bought through the builder. And he chose it from some stock designs, not his own design. I was in St. Croix and stayed in a house where they paid $7000 for their double doors, custom carved and not very nice actually. People will pay, but you have to connect yourself to the builders who supply the specialty connections (decorative painters, custom doors and stair parts, etc.) The actual customers won't contact you. Which means you need to be there - if you don't live near such a developer or in a large city, it would be tough to find enough customers to make it happen. If you do, it's not very hard. The people with lots of money are still buying stuff.

I was visiting Jacksonville FL once and went into a paint store to get some stuff for a decorative door painting job I was doing. The owner found out what I do and on the spot offered me a full time teaching position there (no thanks) and I was also offered several mural jobs by other customers. And that's without showing a portfolio or anything. My 2 week visit turned into 2 more mural jobs and a faux marble fireplace job, paying for my trip.

BTW- to everyone who wants to go this route, make yourself a book - that's a small photo album which you can leave at the store (they usually have a table full of them from various artisans) with contact info. Contractors will call you.

So it goes back to the old question: who are your customers, where is your market? Find them and you're in business.

cheers, dee

OH- and what New Year is this? Chinese New Year is the end of January.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    I believe 2010 is the Year of the Tiger...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I believe 2010 is the Year of the Tiger...
    Yes, I know - I was asking what new year is being celebrated right now so he can't do business in China?

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    <smack forehead>

13. The machines look ok for the price. I would think that they would use something better than masking tape to hold the laser tube in place for the pictures. About the 4" outlet you can still get good are movement with a good blower.
    Last edited by Robert J Duval; 09-29-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Yes, I know - I was asking what new year is being celebrated right now so he can't do business in China?

dee
    How embarrassing. I was told that the whole country was on a 1 week holiday and nothing would get done until Oct. 6th when everyone returned to work. I just assumed that it was the new year. That old adage about assuming comes to mind.
    Dee, unlike many people here I do not except to ever support myself doing this type of work. I do it because I enjoy it. If I sold just one door, It would feel like I had succeeded. For me the reward is not so much the money but the feeling I get when someone appreciates my work enough to purchase it.
    If I ever start making enough to support my family doing this type of work, I worry that it would loose its appeal for me.

Jim J.
    LaserCut 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    The exhaust did concern me as well. The first thought I had was how much volume could possibly flow through a 4" flex pipe.
    James, the exhaust CFM should not be much of an issue. The flow through will be dependent on the inlet size. The amount of smoke and/or fumes coming off the burn point will not be more or less just because the box is bigger.

The bigger table size will have a speed trade-off. There is more mass to move so the speeds will always be lower than a smaller table size. Especially so if the head and Y-axis assemble is moved with an open loop stepper system. That may be why they state 1% speed increments as it may lose steps at higher speeds.

If you are doing 12" x 15" stuff 80%of the time, a smaller table size makes more sense if you can run at the higher speeds.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.